Question About UniTrane Fan Coil Unit... - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question about UniTrane Fan coil unit...

Greetings All,

I live in a co-op apartment in large building (28 story). Heating and cooling is supplied by UniTrane fan coil units in the rooms. The are single pipe, that is the central system is seasonally changed from hot to cool. These units basically only control the blower speed.

These are the original 1965 units and the blower motor is starting to make a loud squealing sound and takes about 5-10 minutes to start in the living room unit.

My question is are these motors relatively easy to change? Also would like to look at changing the Honeywell fan controls as well.

If not, does anyone know where I can get a repairman to work on these? I've searched exhaustively, but cannot find anyone, or even information on these old systems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again,

Don

Advertisement

donrbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 720

Talk to the building manager or property manager or at the condo board meeting and see if there is/was a maintenance co/person looking after the bldg before it became condos. Those old motors are not easy to replace and may have to be removed and taken to an electric motor shop and rewound or rebuilt instead of replaced if none are available. Somebody must be contracted to look after the water chiller and pumps etc so they may do work on the fan coil units as well.

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Yuri,

Thank you for your response. Normally, your answer would be the best answer, but where I live, frankly, it is very corrupt. Everyone here is looking for a kickback or bribe. The maintinence people here have offered to change it with a used, old part for over $200.00, where it will work, but no guarentee of the part or their work. That's the way they do things here for everything. I did some Internet research for these type of parts where it is stated that these can be replaced with more efficient products. I don't mind spending, but if I do, I don't want to spend for something that will last for maybe three months and work poorly. I'm not trying to circumvent the process, I'm trying to to do a repair once and have it done right. I hate to say it, but any recommendations or work done from anyone in my building, will be the wrong thing.

Don
donrbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 720

Sounds like the Mafia runs things in your area.

One other suggestion is to use the Yellow pages under electric motor repair. I worked in a large 38 story office bldg and there are electric motor companies who do site calls and remove large motors and overhaul them. The problem you have is that motor is VERY old school and you need a experienced motor rebuilder to know what it is. They are not cheap but if you describe it properly and are willing to pay they may come deal with it.

Good Luck
Old 06-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,480

Or remove the motor, and take it to a motor shop. They should be able to tell you if they can repair it or not without costing too much. Most will tell you right a way if they work on old shaded pole motors or not.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

hi,i worked Trumps buildings and all thru the city on those unitsNEW they are a pain i the and the biggest thing is just dust/dirt around the motor air inlets and the squirrel cages being dirt filled and the insides fins covered in dust...you can slide the fan section out...check the fan fins looking down into the fan openings and take an old toothbrush and clean off alll the dust...might even have an oil port for the motor bearings...or squit some WD-40 into the motor were the shafts go in....fan should freee spin easy either way...you right on the maint.thing there they just sit back and wait for the calls....and then scream when a servcie truck pulls up to fix them.check the yellow pages for a local residential service company they will do service..maybe pull all the fans sections back to the shop clean them alll up and just slide them back in...i willl check for some and get back by tonight More Air over on Astoria Blvd in E.Elmhurst might do a t &M call to clean them up..or these guys local http://getcool.com/

Advertisement

Last edited by biggles; 06-26-2011 at 08:17 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote