Question About Connecting Wires To The RTH2300 (honeywell) Thermostat - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question about connecting wires to the RTH2300 (honeywell) thermostat

Hello:

Trying to install the new thermostat (Honeywell RTH2300B) but I ran into something I wanted to confirm prior to switching the power back on.

some notes:
1) There were only 2 wires in the previous thermostat (red and white - connected to R and W terminals)
2) There is a pre-installed jumper in the new thermostat between the R and RC connectors (it's stated to leave the jumper in unless I have both a R and RC wires connected)
3) I have a gas furnace with no heat pump (that I know of)

Question:
Should I put in the red wire while the jumper is connected in the R slot? There isn't much room to put the red wire in that slot.
Also, they talk about jumper JP2 in a later section regarding heat pumps - with leaving the jumper in the pre-set position if I have an O wire connected to the O/B terminal or adjust the jumper if I have a B wire connected to the O/B terminal. I don't have a heat pump and therefore none of these wires. Do I take the jumper plastic thing off or just leave it as factory setting?

Also confirming that the wires go in the top of the jumper section - the instructions aren't that clear - that and I'm not very familiar with anything electrical.

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement

Last edited by crap_at_diy; 11-26-2011 at 10:15 PM.
crap_at_diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

hook up the red to either of the two terminals with the jumper, hook up the white to w

Advertisement

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

You're only concerned with b/o if you have a heat pump and as you said, you do not.

seeing as how you do not have a Y terminal (at least not mentioned) you can simply remove the jumper and install red on R terminal. Rc means r-cool. If you had a wire connected to the Y teminal than rc is what feeds it, hence the jumper as any R terminal is the power to stat.

It would not matter if the jumper stays to rc or not if you do not have cooling hooked up.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the feedback! I've kept the JP2 jumper as the factory spec and kept the jumper between r and the other one the same.

Appreciate your help.
crap_at_diy is offline   Reply With Quote