Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #1

Share |

Question about Carrier Infinity Media Cabinet

I'm looking at getting a Carrier 59TN6 furnace, and the literature says that it comes with a Media Filter Cabinet. I'd like to know if this cabinet allows will take 1" and 4" filters. I called Carrier directly but they wouldn't provide any product literature or information about this, and told me to call a local dealer. I previously spoke with a dealer and didn't get any useful information about this, so I thought I'd make this post. From what I've seen online, it's not clear if both width filters can be used, or if some special adapters are needed. The filter cabinet certainly looks wide enough to use a 4" filter, but I'd like to hear from someone with direct knowledge about this. Thanks.

rvmeush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #2

Yes those media cabinets are designed to allow 4" filter usage. They also come with a clip that allows for 1" filters to be used, but to be honest I don't think I've ever had anyone use the 1" filters. It's kind of a cheap little bent clip to provide the 3 " spacing. If you want to use 1" filters then ask the installer to put a regular 1" rack on the unit and you will be more satisfied than messing around with the clip.

HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
HVAC Tech/Owner

I dont like the cabinets that come with the carrier stuff. They are difficult to seal airtight and I have a couple of them I am selling for scrap if you want

I always put a good quality filter rack on furnaces...aprilaire is my favorite.
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote