Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #1

Share |

Quality Air Movement in Tandem Garage?

I have a 2.25 car tandem garage. There are no windows or ventilation holes, only the garage door at one end. This is single sided ventilation. I cannot add or modify anything.

I have a gym at the back end of the garage (can't be at the front because sometimes we have to park a car in there). I want to know how to produce the BEST airflow for this setup. We have a gas powered water heater, and the air in the garage smells awful and gives me a headache. I want to make sure if I'm exercising down there, the air is clean.

I've attached the following picture:

Am I better off using the high powered air mover to blow air in, and put a fan on the other side blowing air out, or the opposite?

Any tips or suggestions?

Last edited by sgtiger; 07-24-2012 at 01:00 AM.
sgtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #2

providing some kind of ductwork to ensure the air reaches the back area is prety crucial. Otherwise there is no real way of ensuring that the fresh air being blown in is actually making it back there. maybe one of those fabric ducts and can be hung from the wall with simple screws?

Also, the exhaust/intake from a space should be separated by at least 10 feet.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
providing some kind of ductwork to ensure the air reaches the back area is prety crucial. Otherwise there is no real way of ensuring that the fresh air being blown in is actually making it back there. maybe one of those fabric ducts and can be hung from the wall with simple screws?

Also, the exhaust/intake from a space should be separated by at least 10 feet.
Can you show me an example online of that ductwork?

When you say separation, do you mean move the exhaust into the garage, or there should be 10ft of space between the intake/exhaust, i.e.: Exhaust------10ft-----Intake.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtiger View Post
Can you show me an example online of that ductwork?
http://kwikduct.com/images/kd_pic__1_.jpg

Doesn't have to be all advanced for what you're doing. If you know how to sew, you can make one yourself to suit your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtiger View Post
When you say separation, do you mean move the exhaust into the garage, or there should be 10ft of space between the intake/exhaust, i.e.: Exhaust------10ft-----Intake.
Yes, you don't want to suck back in what you just blew out.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
http://kwikduct.com/images/kd_pic__1_.jpg

Doesn't have to be all advanced for what you're doing. If you know how to sew, you can make one yourself to suit your needs.

Yes, you don't want to suck back in what you just blew out.
OK, I actually made something like that with plastic trashbags. My neighbors gave me funny looks when I hooked it up though!

Should I leave the garage door all the way up, or should I close it partially?
Old 07-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

My question is, why can't you modify the garage? Are you renting, or is there another unit on the other side? The duct that is used in temp construction, is just heavy 8-10mil plastic. Sam's and some factories use a Canvas material for their duct work.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #7

You also need to keep in mind that with a gas water heater there are associated gases which may vent. Any type of exhaust fan setup could draw the heater fumes/exhauset in to the garage. So why exactly does it smell?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #8

I can't modify the garage because of HOA's, it's a townhome.

Toward the back of the garage, by the gym area, there is a door that opens into a small area that stores the water heater and furnace. There are two small cutouts in the wall that vent to the outside. I presume the water heater gas escapes out those vents.

I do have the option of opening up the door and trying to blow stuff out that way, but the vents are small and I would prefer to keep the door closed (to keep the gas from the heater inside that little room).

Old 07-24-2012, 05:05 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

You said it smells bad in the garage. Where is the smell coming from. Perhaps the smell problem should be eliminated first before you do anything else that may cover up a serious problem.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #10

Your exhaust fan has created a negative pressure causing the fumes from the water heater to enter the workout area. Try, just running the intake air fan and this should pressurize the entire garage AND force any fumes to exit via the existing vents in the room where the HW tank is. Maybe crack the garage door slightly to promote air circulation but not too much to allow depressurization. Also, natural ventilation via the exhaust fan housing should be monitored/altered to ensure positive pressure is maintained in the space. Relocation to opposite end would also be preferable but just closing it off and cracking the garage door may suffice.

Last edited by techpappy; 07-25-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: clarification
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #11

I would put in a mini split system by the weight room or join a gym. If you are getting headaches then this is not a healthy place to work out.

The HOA may approve the mini split but I doubt it. The gas may be making you sick.

Get PX 90 or some workout system you can do in the house.
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #12

Just reread your post. I thought the fans you showed were already in and operating and that one brought air in from outside and the other vented air to the outside. However if you do not have openings to the outside then all is futile. You require fresh air intake at the very least. The fan you are proposing seems way too big. You only have to replace the room volume max. 5 times per hour. You do the math. But you DO need a source of fresh air to do this. Perhaps you could open the garage door about 8 inches, fit a board or with matching trim, at the bottom then just create an opening large enough to fit a small duct and fit it to your intake supply fan which blows the fresh air into the room. The room should become pressureized and vent under the door to the HW heater room and vent out the existing vent openings. Now this is all surmising the vents in the HW Tank room are actually open air vents to outside and NOT just PVC vents from a high efficiency unit and the board under the door and all connections are sealed reasonably well enough to maintain a positive pressure in the workout space.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #13

Whoa...mini split systems and pressurization? Just open the garage door, put the fans on with a fabric/plastic duct (as mentioned above) and grunt away. If you need anything more, then a gym membership sounds like a cheaper way out...
Old 07-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #14

Just open the garage door? That works during good weather AND if you don't care about privacy. Otherwise, you have to create air flow to maintain positive pressure to keep the fumes of the gas HW Tank from entering the space AND your lungs, eyes etc. AND the HOA may have a problem with the gymnasium exposure. So, tes, if you don't mind putting yourself open to the elements and being on display...just open the door.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
Love for Construction

Whole house fan installed in the ceiling above the workout area. Crack the garage door at the end and pull the fresh air with the whole house fan which then gets exhausted out your attic vents. And as an added bonus will decrease the heat buildup in the attic as well.