PVC Pipe Broken On Gas Furnace/AC Unit - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

PVC pipe broken on Gas Furnace/AC unit

My gas furnace/AC unit has a pvc pipe on the front of it that leads to the floor drain on the floor in the basement. I assume it is used to direct the condensation that accumulates when running the AC. I broke the pipe off at the fitting that goes into the furnace/ac when I opened the utility room door too hard. How in the world do I fix this? I tried using pvc pipe cement but it didn't work. I can't tell how the pipe is connected to the unit without removing the gummy caulk around the two holes in the front of the unit. (One of the holes is blocked with a red plastic cap). Is there a way to glue the pipe ends back together without removing the broken end of the pipe? I found out the hard way how much condensation comes out of that pipe when I ran the AC saturday. I don't want to run it again until I fix it but it's supposed to get into the 90's again today. Help!!

Advertisement

Keyo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

can you post a photo of the pipe?

Advertisement

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #3

I wish i could but I don't have a digital cam. I'll try to attach a diagram.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #4

what is the inside diameter of this pipe?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:09 PM   #5

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Owner/Pictures/coil-evap-pckc-lg.jpg[/IMG]This is the model of the condenser unit I have. The two holes at the bottom (one is red) is what I am talking about. The pvc pipe attached (not shown) is what has broken off. Tell me if the pic didn't show up and I'll try something else.

Last edited by Keyo77; 10-08-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #6

the gummy stuff is simply sealing the hole so air wont leak out. I believe that the red cap is sealing the secondary drain to your a/c coil. the other is the main drain that was broken.You need to get the main drain repaired or replace the evap coil. Some coils have multi drain hole for cased coils that can be flipped or drained from the left or right. these coils would have a many little red caps. the red caps are simply covering the unused holes. A quick fix you could chaulk off the broken hole and use the hole where the red cap is but will have sitting water in your coil and not recommended
coolmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #7

Maybe I should post this in plumbing as well. What I really need to know is how to glue the two pieces of pvc back together. The piece that goes into the condenser coil was glued into the valve so getting that out is going to be a bi***. The easiest solution would be if I could just glue it back together at the break but I don't know what to use. Once it is glued, I could use sealing caulk to reinforce it.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyo77 View Post
... What I really need to know is how to glue the two pieces of pvc back together...
To glue/cement two pieces of pvc together you need to use a primer/cleaner and then the pvc cement. If you can cut the broken piece back then you should be able to use a coupling and then add on from there.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:08 AM   #9
TheForsaleBoard.com

Rewards Points: 10

I am assuming the broken pipe has no threads. But if it does you could use an EZout.
Otherwise, if careful, you could drill out the broken pipe and slowly increase the size of the drill until the broken pipe has been removed. I would caution hitting the broken pipe with a chisel due to possible breakage of the condensate pan. I wish I Could be there to do it my self. I would not try to glue the pipe back together unless there is enough room for a coupling otherwise you risk the pipe leaking when you least expect it.

Advertisement

TheFor is offline   Reply With Quote