Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:30 AM   #1

Share |

PVC joints came apart on my condensation tube and I can't afford a repair man!!!

Hello, I smelled gas last night and heard a weird noise. I went down to the basement and felt cold air coming from the furnace closet. When I opened it I saw that the PVC condensation tube had come apart in two joints and water was on the floor.

One joint closest to the clamp/bracket attaching it to the furnace and another up top. The pipe pushes the condensation outside to the alley. The NE has been very cold so this is a huge concern, but I think an easy fix. For now we just reattached the joints tightly but we're worried it's going to happen again. What would be an easy, cheap fix? Do I need to just retighten the clamp? Affix another clamp? Would duck tape work?

Here's a pic of the furnace and pipes

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee27/nlo555/PVC.jpg

Thanks so much.

NikkiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #2

PVC joints came apart on my condensation tube and I can't afford a repair man!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiO View Post
Hello, I smelled gas last night and heard a weird noise. I went down to the basement and felt cold air coming from the furnace closet. When I opened it I saw that the PVC condensation tube had come apart in two joints and water was on the floor.

One joint closest to the clamp/bracket attaching it to the furnace and another up top. The pipe pushes the condensation outside to the alley. The NE has been very cold so this is a huge concern, but I think an easy fix. For now we just reattached the joints tightly but we're worried it's going to happen again. What would be an easy, cheap fix? Do I need to just retighten the clamp? Affix another clamp? Would duck tape work?

Thanks so much.
Duct Tape would be the best thing to use, not sure where you can get duck tape.

bwalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Enormous Member

Weird that they would both just come apart like that. You mentioned that it runs out to the alley... any possibility someone bumped into it?

Anyway.. regluing it would probably be the proper fix. You can get the PVC glue at any hardware store. Or if you know any plumbers who owe you a favor, they could probably handle this in 2 minutes. You don't necessarily need a furnace guy.
skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #4

I will get some PVC glue but will duck tape work as a temp fix?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiO View Post

Thanks so much.
Why would you smell gas from a condensation pipe issue?
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #6

Handy Man88 - That's a great question. I don't know why we smelled gas, but once we reconnected the PVC pipe in the two locations, we did not smell gas again the whole evening or this morning.
I did not see any other disconnect or leakage anywhere on the furnace. Maybe when it came unattached the heavy PVC pipe bumped the gas pipe and a little squeaked out?

I'm willing to call an expert if I need to, I just don't want to call one if it's not necessary.

Thanks for your help
Old 02-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #7

He must be referring to the condensate drain line from the draft inducer, and not the line from the evap coil. He could smell some gas odor from that.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

I think your refering to the combusted gas vent pipe.

The big one that connects to the black fan right?

Get that pipe glued together, and don't forget the primer.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #9

This PVC pipe does connect to the fan, but it also is directed outside to the alley and outputs condensation and air. When the pipe came apart a good amount of water or condensation came out and spilled on the floor.

Will duct tape suffice until I can get it glued?
What is the difference between a combusted gas vent pipe and a condensation tube?
Can they serve the same purpose?
I see no other pipe for condensation and I do not have a drain on my basement floor. The condensation has to be being forced outside through that tube. I must mention that the remodel of the house I'm living in was pretty shoddy. It's possible that something was not hooked up correctly.

Thanks so much for your continued help!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #10

The condensation line is the small 3/4" tube that drains away the condensation from the evaporator coil when your air conditioner operates.

The larger 2" tube is the same as your chimney for your combustion gases. Because you are in a colder climate, and you are running a horizontal exhaust, you probably have condensate from your exhaust gases from your condensing furnace. Just make sure that your horizontal run has at least a 1/4" per foot rise from the furnace to the outdoors.

Beenthere is right, make sure and get that glued asap.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #11

Thanks to all for your assistance.

Will duck tape suffice for a week or so before I can get some glue?

Will it be ok if it gets damp? Should I use electrical tape or no tape at all?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
30 year tech

That pipe dosn't push condensate, it vents your furnace and condensate is a by-product of it doing that. This could be a very dangerous situtation as you could be dumping carbon monoxide directly into your house when the pipe is off or leaking.

Not something that I would want a cheap duct tape fix on. What is your families lives worth. If the pipes are holding alot of water that could be what made them come apart. I would recommend that you get a tech to repair this problem and check out the system. If nothing else get some primer and pvc glue. Dry out the pipes completly, primer and re-glue. It also dosn't look like there are any supports on that pipe.
hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #13

Shouldn't there be a drain on that 2" pvc vent pipe to allow the combustion condensate to drain out? Perhaps it is plugged allowing condensate to build up as HVAC122 said and the weight of the water pulled it apart. It should have been glued but obviously wasn't.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #14

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I'm trying to get someone in ASAP after HVAC122's response (which was very helpful and correct)!
I appreciate all the responses and support.

Tags
condensation tube, furnace, pvc pipe