Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #1

Share |

PVC gas vent rated pipe

I am doing renos in my basement and it was suggested that I install PVC pipe for future furnace replacement. I am able to follow directly out doors following the joists from the furnace. I just need to know what size pipe and what clearances are required from combustible surfaces.

Last edited by Gordlem; 04-21-2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Wording incorrect
Gordlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #2

PVC gas vent rated pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordlem View Post
I am doing renos in my basement and it was suggested that I install PVC pipe for future furnace replacement. I am able to follow a directly out doors following the joists from the furnace. I just need to know what size pipe and what clearances are required from combustible surfaces.
right now you need 636 pipe in manitoba .... next month they may change there mind again.... who knows...

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carmon For This Useful Post:
Gordlem (04-22-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #3

PVC gas vent rated pipe

You would need to know exactly what furnis you were going to install before even thinking about installing it..
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Gordlem (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #4

PVC gas vent rated pipe

What you may want to do is get some information on the furnace you will need, call a trusted HVAC company to do a heat loss on your home, get the proper sizing of the furnace for planning purposes, and a price to have it installed. That way you know more details and hopefully send some business the heating contractor's way. The size of the piping depends on the size of the furnace and length of run. Usually the piping is 2-3" pvc. But again you shoud get the proper information. Installing the pipe now is a good idea.

Links to other DIY sites are not permitted.

Last edited by beenthere; 04-22-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: removed link
Edward12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Edward12 For This Useful Post:
Gordlem (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #5

PVC gas vent rated pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward12 View Post
What you may want to do is get some information on the furnace you will need, call a trusted HVAC company to do a heat loss on your home, get the proper sizing of the furnace for planning purposes, and a price to have it installed. That way you know more details and hopefully send some business the heating contractor's way. The size of the piping depends on the size of the furnace and length of run. Usually the piping is 2-3" pvc. But again you shoud get the proper information. Installing the pipe now is a good idea.
I agree installing pipe now fine.... as long as the pipe installed meets code.... and meets code when furnace installed....... we used to use pvc now we use 636...would be a shame to install wrong pipe

Last edited by beenthere; 04-22-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: removed link from quote
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carmon For This Useful Post:
Gordlem (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #6

PVC gas vent rated pipe

thank you for your replies. I think I am on the right track. Very helpful.

Gordlem is offline   Reply With Quote