Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2008, 03:25 AM   #1

Share |

Purpose of condensate drain/neutralizer

Greetings:

Condensate trap on my Ruud Achiever 90Plus (4 year old) started leaking. The leak was around the two input line connectors. I removed the condensate trap and wired it directly to the drain. My question is whether the sole purpose of the condensate drain/neutralizer is to prevent sewer/drain smell reaching the furnace room. If that is the case, I already have a vent for the drain line - right before where it is getting connected to the furnace drain. Am I hurting anything else by removing the condensate trap?
Do I need to replace the condensate drain - or may be just get a metal clamp and tighten the hose that is getting connected to it?

Thanks
Shaw

sj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:45 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

The trap is required by code.
It serves 2 purposes.
1, prevents carbon monoxide and other combusted gases from being put into the air/drain lines. That may not be properly trapped.
2, it provides a negative pressure so that the pressure switch can sense if the inducer is pulling enough draft through the Heat Exchanger.

Although it is working now. Good chance it will stop working down the road without the trap.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #3

Thank you beenthere,
I have taken out the condensate trap and ran water through it, it don't seem to have any leak, so I am thinking may be a clamp to tighten the hose coming in will do the trick.
Will keep you posted.

Also, since I have the unit open, is there any preventive maintenance that I should do ?

-Shaw
Old 12-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Sometimes, the trap will clog. And the hoses are loose enough that the water comes out.
Then when you remove the trap, the small amount of gunk/dirt is knocked loose, and washes out without you really seeing it.

Hose clamps will take care of loose fitting hoses.
Double check that the hoses aren't cracking.

Make sure the drain ports of the furnace are clear also.
Other then that, not a lot you can do, that you shouldn't have a manomter for to check that everything is working right.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #5

beenthere,
I will check and make sure no cracks on the hose. But having hard time figuring out how to check the drain on the furnace. I have the bottom panel out, the hose kind of disappears into the back. Do I have to take anything else out to check the drain?

-Shaw
Old 12-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

If you can't get to the port.
You can blow throught the hose, to try and make sure its clear.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #7

I am not a HVAC technician but, I also had a similar problem this year with a water leak from my furnace. It turned out to be the condensate trap was plugged solid with mold and/or algae and one of the hoses to the trap was cracked. I had to completely remove the trap from the side of the furnace and run water through it in the sink. The amount of stuff that I flushed out from the condensate trap was amazing.
BlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
Hvac Pro

Trick of the trade: ZIP ties/tie wraps work real well in tight places on those hoses, you can cinch them up real tight. Hose clamps can be real hard to install in small places.

Cheers
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #9

I put the trap back on, with hose clamps and still there is a slight leak (drip) from the pipe out. [two inlets has hose clamps on. Out is a molded pipe that is part of the cap. While testing it under the kitchen sink, it flow out without any leak. I cannot visually locate any breaks on the out pipe]

May be time to replace it ? where could I find one ?

Thanks
-Shaw
Old 01-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #10

Each year we have trouble with our condensate trap freezing on the furnace at our cabin (we don't leave the heat on when during the winter). This year when we came up in the winter it had frozen and cracked the trap. If the trap is required by code is there a way to keep it from freezing?
mtrulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Drain it.
Thats the only way.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj22 View Post
Greetings:

Condensate trap on my Ruud Achiever 90Plus (4 year old) started leaking. The leak was around the two input line connectors. I removed the condensate trap and wired it directly to the drain. My question is whether the sole purpose of the condensate drain/neutralizer is to prevent sewer/drain smell reaching the furnace room. If that is the case, I already have a vent for the drain line - right before where it is getting connected to the furnace drain. Am I hurting anything else by removing the condensate trap?
Do I need to replace the condensate drain - or may be just get a metal clamp and tighten the hose that is getting connected to it?

Thanks
Shaw
I am having the same trouble. Took me a while to find the leak but the 90 degree outlet was leaking around the base. Took 4 months to fill the bottom of the furnace with water and then it came dripping out of the corner. I took the condensation trap off and siliconed around the base of the 90. It is curing as I type this. Hopefully it will fix the leak.
Freddy

Freddy13 is offline   Reply With Quote