Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #1

Share |

purging air out of my boiler system???

Hello,

I recently drained our hot water boiler system to rid it of sediment and buildup - mission accomplished...no more popping or pinging sounds from the boiler itself when it fires up. This is a Weil McClain PCG-6 gas fired boiler.

But...apparently I didn't correctly purge the air out of the pipes as there is that "running water" sloshing sound when a zone fires up and the hot water is circulating.

There are no little bleed-valves on the baseboards. Below is a series of pics featuring our boiler system. I've checked out those youtube "how to" videos to purge air out of the system, but still can't get those lines purged. Besides, those boilers in those videos always seem to be plumbed a little bit different then ours. I also did a search here that helped, but didn't solve my problem.

I thought it was just wise to add pics of my sytem, maybe someone can help me connect the dots. With the below pics, can anybody sort out the proper way to get that air out of the lines? THNX much in advance, this is an awesome site!

BOTTOM

SIDE OF TOP VIEW (no drains above shut-off valves, other then bleeder on far right zone)

ONE MORE PIC

Last edited by In_Wy; 02-20-2012 at 03:32 PM.
In_Wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

With system turned off. Close red handled ball valve that is just above the boiler. Connect garden hose the faucet above it, and run it to a drain or outside. Open faucet, then manually open 1 of the zone valves(preferably the one that heats the lowest level first)then open fill valve to the left of the circ. let water run for several minutes, until no more air comes out. Close zone valve manually, and open net zone valve, continue until you have done all 3.

You may not get enough water flow through the type of fill system you have. A easy fix. is to get a utility hose, and another garden hose, and connect that to your water heater, or utility sink, and feed the fresh water into the boiler's drain valve.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
how

Turn off the power to the boiler so that the other zone valves or the pump doesn't come on in the middle of the air purge process.
I am assuming that you have a pressure reducing valve on your inlet water feed line to the boiler. Does it have a manual feed lever on the top of it?
A picture of it would be great.
If so then follow Beentheres instructions but you can just lift up that manual feed lever during his draining process to get that the extra flow & pressure through the system.
You also have a manual air bleed valve above the furthest zone valve which you should also try for getting rid of some of the air in that zone when the pump is not running..

Last edited by how; 02-20-2012 at 05:29 PM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #4

how: No pressure reducing valve on water inlet. We're on a well, not sure what are pressure is.

beenthere: If I'm reading you right, close the ball valve on top of boiler, drain water through the spigot above it?

Also, to get more water pushing through the lines to purge the air, I can also hook up another hose at the drain valve?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

yep...
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #6

Followed your advice - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Thanks!!!