Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000

purchase decision

Furnace dilemma

I'm finally ready to purchase a gas furnace and stop giving Ontario Hydro the equivalent of a mortgage pymt in the winter mnths

One installer insists that the Byrant 94% D.C. brushless motor at $3500 installed is worth it because not only does one need the 2stage to take advantage of the govt. rebate program, but also because he says it is superior to the;

Other installers choice of Lennox high eff, mod. gsim 36b-070 installed at $2600. lennox guy says no need for brushless, energy savings will still be good, plus less to breakdown

Obviously the rebate takes care of the price diff. but I;m hoping some hvac people will tell me their definite preference and help give me peace of mind for a purchase.

Thanks very much
(I love being Canadian, but I loathe Jan and Feb)

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,786

purchase decision

The 2 stage VS(brushless) can be worth it. if they size the furnace right.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #3

purchase decision

Thanks for your input, but I was also looking for an opinion on Bryant vs lennox in general. Which do you prefer
Old 08-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

purchase decision

I don't like either.

What you need to consider, is does one brand have better support in your area then the other. Nothing worse then having to wait for a repair part.

If your going to get the Evolution control if you get the Bryant, then that would be my choice.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #5

purchase decision

oh
Which brand do you like? I haven't any idea how to determine which brand has better support, but i do appreciate the time you've given me
Old 08-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

purchase decision

York.

Brand name is not of any great importance. A good install is. And good parts availability when you need the part.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

purchase decision

The quality of installation is the most important factor.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 258

purchase decision

I like the 94%, and it only makes sense if the rebate makes up the difference that you get a more efficient and advanced system for the same money. I sell the Carrier product line, and have for about the last 15 years, which is the same as the Bryant product and have had lots of success, and very few problems with that line of equipment. I personally have a Carrier modulating furnace in my house and really like the comfort level it provides with the Infinity/Evolution control.
I also worked for a different company prior to starting my own, which sold Lennox for many years, and litteraly installed hundreds of them with relatively few problems as well. As mentioned previous, the most important factor is proper professional installation with good commissioning on start up.
HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #9

purchase decision

Hurray! Do you think the 94% efficient model has the evolution control? Sorry for the extreme newbie question but what does good commission on start up mean? and how can I tell between the two installers who has the better success rate?

Thanks a bunch
Jan
Old 08-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

purchase decision

Carrier has a mod furnace? I didn't know they made anymore then a 3 stage furnace. LOL
Old 08-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 258

purchase decision

I don't know if the 94% will be compatible with the evolution control or not. You will have to check with the supplier to see if model you were quoted on is compatible. If not, there are certainly other controls on the market which would cost less than the evolution and still give you great service.

Proper commissioning has to do with making sure the furnace is set up properly after installation. It includes things like checking/adjusting the manifold gas pressure at various combustion speeds, checking/adjusting temperature rise across the heat exchanger, meter clocking the gas meter to ensure the furnace is burning the correct amount of fuel, checking for proper ignition (quiet) if gas pressures have been adjusted, etc.

Many manufacturers have a detailed start up list to follow for thier specific equipment, but sometimes the installers are in a hurry to leave your house (or perhaps don't know how to do the proper checks) and leave without checking anything.

Everyone has a different opinion on which products are better/worse than others. My advice would be to find a contractor you are comfortable with, perhaps recommended by friends/niehbors that you trust, companies that have been around for a while, etc. that will give you great service, and do a proper install/comissioning. Either of the brands which have been mentioned so far are huge companies (as are others) with solid reputations and warranty plans. The biggest thing is picking the contractor you think will do the best job.

HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote