Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #1

Share |

PSE&G - Cool Customer Program

Good Afternoon -

I received a notice in the mail for enrolling in the PSE&G cool customer program. Has anyone ever had any experience with it?

They are offering a one-time $50 billing credit and a free touch-screen programmable thermostat (Honeywell UtilityPRO™) in exchange for enrolling.

According to the brochure during peak times (Mon - Fri / 1pm - 7pm) they can remotely cycle the A/C compressor on and off for 15 minute intervals - leaving the central air fan running the whole time - and they only do it when absolutely needed for your particular area.

I work until 5pm on the weekdays and keep my house warm during work, so I don't think it will affect me too much. My only concern is if it's OK for the compressor to turn off and on like that?

I thought it was best it ran for a while and not turn off and on so quickly?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by adgjqetuo; 04-18-2012 at 08:22 PM.
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #2

that would be the day my a/c got shut off..... if you dont mind being warm go for it..... will not hurt compressor..
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #3

Well according to their website they only had to run the on / off cycle 8 times in the past 6 years.

2005 - 2
2006 - 1
2007 - 1
2008 - 3
2009 - 0
2010 - 1

I'm starting to think I wouldn't ever notice - especially since it's only during the week and mostly while i'm at work.

I think i'm going to go for it.
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgjqetuo View Post
Well according to their website they only had to run the on / off cycle 8 times in the past 6 years.

2005 - 2
2006 - 1
2007 - 1
2008 - 3
2009 - 0
2010 - 1

I'm starting to think I wouldn't ever notice - especially since it's only during the week and mostly while i'm at work.

All you can do is try....
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgjqetuo View Post

2005 - 2
2006 - 1
2007 - 1
2008 - 3
2009 - 0
2010 - 1

I'm also a customer of PSE&G and received the same 'offer'.

Since we're home most of the time, I wouldn't appreciate being deprived of my cooling. Likewise, older health-impared persons might feel the effects of a sudden shut down of the A/C.

I once tried switching the fan to 'on' and didn't like the sudden rush of humidity, after the condenser shut off. So, it's not just a slowly rising ID temperature, but also a sudden spike of humidity that one would have to deal with.

Perhaps, a PRO might know whether such a system requires installation of a 'smart' meter. There is controversy regarding them with regard to constant radiation (EMI & RFI), and possible health effects. The concerns also consider unwanted (and unknown) control of other 'smart' appliances in the home.

One wonders why a utility would go to such an expense for so little return.

V

Last edited by veesubotee; 04-19-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: post script
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #6

seems lots of energy companies are offering this now. mine offered me the same thing in an email, which i promptly ignored. i work from home and am not about to give control of my comfort to the electrical company.

the whole idiocy of the idea is that if you can just get everyone to raise the temp in their house a degree or two and live with it, that would FAR outweigh any stupid remote control shut-off of compressors. what the power company SHOULD do is offer killowatt-hour discounts for those customers who consume a lot less electricity given the square footage of their home and charge more per killowat-hour for those that use far more. basically, utilize a curve just like an insurance company where you get a better rate if you use less and get a worse rate if you use more.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote