Proper Air Conditioning For 2 Story - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
Handy Who

Rewards Points: 10

Proper Air Conditioning for 2 Story

Hello,
First of all thanks for being here to assist me with my questions.

Okay, I have central air for a 2000 sf home that has a upstairs and downstairs. My problem is when the temperature gets really hot here (So. Calif) I turn on the unit, and it takes around 1.5 - 2 hrs just for a 1 degree drop.

I had it inspected and the tech said the unit is too small for the house. When it was built, they put in the min. required size unit. He said I can try to change the filters, and put an airflow vent upstairs to see if that would help.

So today, we opened up the airflow vent and saw that the opening leads to the left to the actual unit in the garage, and above is boarded up (picture a square with the left being the unit, and the top leading up the wall). Am I missing something here?

You can clearly see a small wall (don't know the actual name) from the airflow vent that leads upstairs, but it's boarded up downstairs.

I hope I'm making sense. If not, let me know if I need to take pictures.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement

nicetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

get the model number off the condenser unit and count the supply runs ( with mesurments ) the return size with mesurments the hottest day of the year last year (about) and the temp in the room minus the temp of the air coming out of the vents. also get the model # of the air handler . and the size of the house and if you would consider it well insulated .Id be happy do confirm or dispute the other tech

Advertisement

geo fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
Handy Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo fan View Post
get the model number off the condenser unit and count the supply runs ( with mesurments ) the return size with mesurments the hottest day of the year last year (about) and the temp in the room minus the temp of the air coming out of the vents. also get the model # of the air handler . and the size of the house and if you would consider it well insulated .Id be happy do confirm or dispute the other tech
Ok I'll take pictures and load them up. Now as for the other stuff...huh? I'm going to have to look up some of the stuff you're talking about. And to take measurements, do I need a special tool for that?

The house is 2000 sf (that includes an uninsulated, no air conditioned 300sf room). The house is well insulated otherwise.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-19-2008 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Advertising Link Removed From Signature
Old 06-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

to get a round idea just copy the information off the out door unit specificly the model # by mesurement I just want 10inches by 14 inch trunk with 8 run outs 5 @7 inches 3@ 8 inches and so on but in house that size it would be a close estimat that a 4 ton unit would be needed that dosent mean you have the duct to support this size system or that the one you have isnt that size

Last edited by geo fan; 06-27-2008 at 02:05 PM.
geo fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
Handy Who

I haven't had a chance, because we're going to S.F. for a couple weeks (to cool down, and the kids are out of school). I'll get the info when we get back. Thanks though.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-19-2008 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Advertising Link Removed From Signature