Propane Smell - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2006, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Propane Smell

Hello. I have a new Carrier 48GS. It uses propane instead of natural gas. When we turn on the heat we get a propane smell in the house. Outside there is a strong smell that comes from the vent of the unit. Is this normal for this type of unit...especially one that runs on propane? Thanks for all you help.

Advertisement

sjhandy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Rewards Points: 500

Propane Smell

Hi sjhandy1971

When they installed your new dualpack, did they install the LP kit along with it?. It sounds like to me they forgot to convert it. I would reccomend having them come back and check it. The part number for your LP conversion kit is CPLPCONV006A00. They need to make sure that the manifold gas pressure is not above 3.5" water column also. THIS IS A LOW PRESSURE LP KIT.

Good luck
Rusty

Advertisement

Last edited by #CARRIERMAN; 12-26-2006 at 02:19 PM.
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Propane Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhandy1971 View Post
Hello. I have a new Carrier 48GS. It uses propane instead of natural gas. When we turn on the heat we get a propane smell in the house. Outside there is a strong smell that comes from the vent of the unit. Is this normal for this type of unit...especially one that runs on propane? Thanks for all you help.
The manifold pressure for most all LP burrning apaliances is above 10 inches of water colum.And although It is not impossible to forget to convert a gas burning unit over to burn on propane (different orifaces and spring in gas control valve) I would like to think that only a brain dead technician would do something so stupid.

I tend to want to think that you simply have a leak and it is getting drawn into the home via the air supply ducting. Obviously as a safety concern the best advise any trained technician can give you at this point is simply to shut OFF the propane supply to the unit and call the company out as an emergency and have them locate and repair the reason for the smell.

Please stop back and let us know what was the cause as we always want to know if we helped and gave you correct information.
acefurnacefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Propane Smell

Thank you Carrierman and Acefurnacefixer for your replies. I had a tech come out and check our unit and both of you were right. The problem was what Carrierman thought...no LP conversion kit. And Acefurnacefixer was right in that they were brain dead technicians. I had a different tech come and check for the LP kit because the original techs did such a horrible job. I will not ever let them back on my property again. Thanks again for your help.
sjhandy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Rewards Points: 500

Propane Smell

sjhandy1971

Thank you for stopping back in and letting us know your problem has been addressed. Believe it or not, I am sure I speak for all of us here. Its nice to see the problems get solved, and that no one gets hurt. The solution is what we are here to help you find.

Thank you
Rusty
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote