Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Propane home heating systems

Since Hurricane Irene I've been without heat and hot water because my oil fired boiler and hot water tank are irrepairable. It is 24 years old and has been flooded 3 times before the hurricane since last October. The main cause of the water is the county road storm drain behind my property which backs up a causes a RIVER coming at the back of my house and into my crawlspace and partial basement. I am currently working on fighting the town and county to fix the problem.
But what I need to know is what the cost comparison is between fuel oil and propane. I just had a plumbing heating contractor say I should go with a propane heat and hot water unit that would fit in my front hall closet on the first floor, eliminating the risk of having anything in the basement. I already have had estimates on a new boiler and they cannot be installed any higher than 3 feet. I had 4 FEET of water in my basement from a rainstorm last Wednesday. So it seems putting anything down there until the problem is fixed is not an option right now.
I am going to need heat in about 6 weeks from now and have no idea what to do. And I don't want to go with electric heat because of the cost to operate. Does any one know if propane is a good way to go and would the propane cost more than oil does to operate in the long term? Thanks!

DianeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Tileguy

Not considering the cost of equipment to make the conversion I would contact both the oil supplier and a propane supplier and get their stats on the cost of each per BTU. That's a place to begin. Then contact contractors of each type unit/system and ask them the same thing. THEN get estimates from each for the installation of new equipment required.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #3

I live in central California, propane fired appliances are not allowed in basements. Reason being is propane is heavier than natural gas and therefore it will 'puddle' in a low spot until something bad happens.
thestig3 is offline   Reply With Quote