Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #1

Share |
Question

propane heat

I am trying to find out what heating avenue I should use more. I have a propane whole house system and a propane fireplace. It seems like the fireplace keeps it warmer and if I turn my heat down to 60 degrees the house will stay warm all night from using the fireplace and turning it off before bed. What uses less propane? This is a 1200 sq ft home, 6 yrs old. and we are new owners. Thanks

sharpeidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

propane heat

Hi sharpeidar

That is kind of a trick question. If the fireplace is a vented one and the furnace you have is a 80% plus you are not really going to notice much difference either way. If your fireplace is a non vented and you are using a 80% plus, the fireplace will out perform your furnace as most are 99% efficient. If you have a 90% plus furnace and a non vented fireplace you will not notice much difference in performance as far as gas consumption. The newer houses are so well insulated they heat for pennies on the dollar. The most efficient way to go in any house is geothermal, but we will save that for another day. Hope this helps with your question.

Good luck
Rusty