Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2006, 06:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

propain fireplace

Hi All
I want to put in two fire places that will run off propain. The local hardware store said I have to use gas pipe but amigas (propain people ) said any size copper tubeing would be fine and the would ajust for the size when the hook up to the tank.I would really like to use the copper but im just not sure who is telling me stright here.Anybody know about this ??????????

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:15 AM   #2
registered

Rewards Points: 524

propain fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasact View Post
Hi All
I want to put in two fire places that will run off propain. The local hardware store said I have to use gas pipe but amigas (propain people ) said any size copper tubeing would be fine and the would ajust for the size when the hook up to the tank.I would really like to use the copper but im just not sure who is telling me stright here.Anybody know about this ??????????
You can use either one. Most plumbers who also do gas like pipe but fireplace installers like copper. See copper is flexible in a way pipe isn't

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:21 AM   #3

propain fireplace

Yes thats why I want to use the copper so I can tee it off for the two seperate rooms and run it over the top of the joist and down the wall then just connect it to the flex pipe Any ideals on testing for leaks after I have made the conctions I really dont want to have to come back to fix anything after the gas has been added

Last edited by clasact; 10-22-2006 at 08:07 AM. Reason: added more
Old 10-22-2006, 01:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

propain fireplace

Most areas allow copper TUBING for propane gas. No solder or compression fittings allowed. All joints must be flare type. Using tubing either eliminates or reduces the number of joints due to the selection of lengths available. My way of thinking is that every joint is a place for a possible leak. Use air to pressurize the line after installation and a leak detector such as soapy water to indicate leaks. Be aware that valves can be a source of leaks so be sure to plug off each end of the line and test for leaks on the valve also.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:07 PM   #5

propain fireplace

thanks for the info thats just what I needed to know
Old 10-23-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

propain fireplace

Hi clasact

They did a pretty good job explaining the use of copper so I won't say much. The main reason they allow copper in most states is not only due to the ease of use. It also has to due with the corrosion resistance when layed underground. Copper usually has about twice the expected life as steel underground, the other reason is that propane will not eat the copper like natural gas does.

Good luck.
Rusty

#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote