Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #1

Share |

Programmable t-stat for hot water heat?

Hi;
In my previous post (how much swing..) I asked about changing the swing temp for best efficiency. I was advised to leave it at the default 3 deg.
Now I have another problem.

My RiteTemp thermostat is not intended to be used on a hot water heat system. It works, but there is too much over-shoot in the temp, so I am wasting fuel.
Since forced air systems don't have the hysteresis that hot water does, it isn't an issue for them.

The old thermostat, a simple manual set analog model had a heat-anticipator resistor, which fools the thermostat into shutting off early, and allowing the heat in the radiators to continue bringing the room up to temp.
There was a slight adjustment in the heat anticipator.

I installed the digital programmable because I had it on hand. It wasn't purchased for this heating system.
What I am looking for is a digital programmable model that IS intended to be used on a hot water heat system. This model should have an adjustable "anticipation" factor built in.
Can someone suggest such a model, while I check out Home Depot, Lowes, and other web sites in search of one.

Thanks

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #2

Just take the one you got and turn it back Say you only want 70 degrees. well then turn the T-stat to 65 and let the override pick up the slack.... problem solved

1610 CUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1610 CUB View Post
Just take the one you got and turn it back Say you only want 70 degrees. well then turn the T-stat to 65 and let the override pick up the slack.... problem solved
I thought at first it might be that simple, but if the setpoint is lowered, then the house will also become colder before the heat kicks in again.

I found and ordered the correct unit for the system. It's made by Aube, and I could only find it online.
The Aube unit has a heat anticipator circuit, and also has a feature that will learn the system's hysteresis, and adjust itself accordingly.
The cost was $52, and I believe that when compared to the unit I am using now, it will pay off by the end of the first season.

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote