Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2008, 01:41 AM   #1

Share |

Programmable backlit thermostats

I have a home with hydronic heat and old timey round thermostats in each bedroom. I wanted to put something accurate, good looking, and programmable as a replacement so I bought 3 Honeywell RTH7400 thermostats thinking that they matched what I need and coming from Honeywell they would be the best. Unfortunetely, there are two features that are simply unacceptable:

First, the backlight will not turn on unless you press a button. This is just dumb.

Second, this things makes the loudest relay clicking I've ever heard from a thermostat. This just won't do.

I have a nice White Rodgers touchscreen thermostat (on the first floor) and it does not have either of these problems.

So besides paying the big bucks for something really nice, does anyone make a good thermostat? These things are really priced way too high, there must be some competition out there. All I need is something with one switching relay in it, but I want it to come in a nice package.

Thanks,
Chris Hansen

invertedflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #2

did you check out the Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 http://www.hotfreshcool.com/visionpro_demo.html

Last edited by biggles; 03-09-2008 at 08:51 AM.
biggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #3

Like, I said, I need four units and don't want to drop $100+ on each. I think I may have found a solution - will post back soon.

-Chris
invertedflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:44 AM   #4

might be able to add a remote sensor the size of a matchbook ,and mount the stats in a hallway closet or down near the boiler on 3/4" plywood
biggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #5

Hi,
well you could get another white rogers touchscreen for an inexpensive price . Try this link and see if you find another touchscreen white rodger thermostat that could work for you.
Jane
Jane Addams is offline   Reply With Quote