Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 6
Share |

Programable thermostat

I'm looking for advice on programmable thermostats. Ideally I'd like one I can actually set up via my computer. We have really weird schedules in our house, and being able to set it for specific times would save a LOT of ... discussion ... between my husband and I.

And

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Programable thermostat

We have the 3M Filtrete wifi enabled one from Home Depot. Works great, Android app is free (not sure if iPhone app is) and works well. You can access it from your computer as well. The Nest thermostat is nice but spendy but the automatic features may work for your family better than a regular programmable, just don't expect it to save a lot of money compared to a properly programmed thermostat.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.ULN4EaO858E

www.nest.com

Last edited by SuperJETT; 11-26-2012 at 08:10 AM.
SuperJETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Items wanted: Time

Programable thermostat

Ive been using ecobee, they have auxiliary contacts for a wet switch to guard the sump pump or monitor a radon system or to kick lights on and off.
NiNe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Don't WANNA do it myself

Programable thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJETT View Post
We have the 3M Filtrete wifi enabled one from Home Depot. Works great, Android app is free (not sure if iPhone app is) and works well. You can access it from your computer as well. The Nest thermostat is nice but spendy but the automatic features may work for your family better than a regular programmable, just don't expect it to save a lot of money compared to a properly programmed thermostat.
What constitutes a "properly programmed" thermostat? I'm trying to avoid turning the heat up downstairs at 10 at night so that it's warm at 5:30 when he gets up. That's pretty standard, but our current thermostat only has two times a day for "on/off" and I need more than that.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #5

Programable thermostat

Ours is a 7 day/4 times programmable. On a typical weekday, it goes to 68F at 6:00a to get the house warm for us when we wake up at 6:20-6:30. 8:00a it goes down to 62F since I'm at work already and my wife leaves to get the kids to school then her to work. 3:00p it comes back up to 68F because I get home around 3:30-4:00 then her with the kids soon after. At 10:45p it goes down to 62F for the night.

On Saturdays/Sundays I have it set to warm up the house a little later and in 2 stages then keep it warm until a little later at night. If we're going to be out, we'll set it back down to a low temp and if we remember turn it up on the way home.

Every family has a different schedule and it may be different by day, you have to figure out what works for you.

The Nest has a motion sensor that can automatically set itself and it learns based on how you adjust the temp, but you have to adjust it quite a bit at first for it to learn your habits. Most people that I know don't adjust the temp very often, so giving them a Nest would probably give some questionable results. They are very cool looking though...
Old 11-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Don't WANNA do it myself

Programable thermostat

Weekends are the hard part. My husband works a rotating schedule so his "weekend" changes every week. My pipe dream is to find one that I can link to an actual calendar, or even set up the rotating pattern that doesn't actually match a seven day work week.

I'll check out the Nest.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2

Programable thermostat

Found in my home that using the program feature was costing me more. So we set it back maybe 2 degrees when we leave and adjust back when we get home. We only set back if we are gone for 6 plus hours, anything under that and we leave it.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #8

Programable thermostat

How do you figure it was costing you extra money? Heat pump using strip heaters too often?
Old 11-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #9

Programable thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJETT View Post
How do you figure it was costing you extra money? Heat pump using strip heaters too often?

Mine is not heat pump but gas. I found that setting it back anymore than 2 maybe 4 degrees during winter day or night, required too long of a recovery.

So I tested it by knowing the 4 degree setback costs, then setback less and my house was more comfortable and cost less.

Thanks
digitalplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #10

Programable thermostat

Cost aside, do you think the Nest provides any extra value or energy efficiency over the other Wifi/programmable thermostats? "Learning" is a pretty cool feature, and it's design is sexy, but I'm also nerdy enough to come up with my own schedule.
Joeboo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #11

Programable thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeboo25 View Post
Cost aside, do you think the Nest provides any extra value or energy efficiency over the other Wifi/programmable thermostats? "Learning" is a pretty cool feature, and it's design is sexy, but I'm also nerdy enough to come up with my own schedule.

Have no idea just seems to be another way to do something, in other words a better mouse trap.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 70

Programable thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalplumber View Post
Mine is not heat pump but gas. I found that setting it back anymore than 2 maybe 4 degrees during winter day or night, required too long of a recovery.

So I tested it by knowing the 4 degree setback costs, then setback less and my house was more comfortable and cost less.

Thanks
Heck. I turn mine off when I leave the house.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #13

Programable thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Heck. I turn mine off when I leave the house.

and if I had your talents and skills to tweak mine, I could probably do the same!

But with 3600 square feet and the house not correctly sealed, well we are doing the best we can!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 70

Programable thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalplumber View Post

and if I had your talents and skills to tweak mine, I could probably do the same!

But with 3600 square feet and the house not correctly sealed, well we are doing the best we can!
I thought you guys just lite a couple candles to heat your place. Does it actually get cold in Houston. LOL, J/K

I tell most people to use a set back of 1F for every 2 hours they will be gone. that provides some savings and a reasonable recovery time.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #15

Programable thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
I thought you guys just lite a couple candles to heat your place. Does it actually get cold in Houston. LOL, J/K

I tell most people to use a set back of 1F for every 2 hours they will be gone. that provides some savings and a reasonable recovery time.
Yeah we had cold the other day and today its 80 and humid again! LOL!

Under normal circumstances, I am sure what you suggest will work. My downstairs is a PITA to heat: high ceiling, open stairway to second floor and throw in a single return air in the ceiling and it makes for a bad setback situation!

Did a test a few years back, rigged up an exyension for the return air so it would draw air down low, helped out quite a bit. Just cannot figure out how to get the return down low?