Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Problems with New System


I had a new condencer, furnace and evaporator installed about 3 weeks ago. Just about a week and a half ago, I woke up one morning realizing that the AC must have run all night. I checked and not cold air was blowing out of the vents. I found that the pipe going into the evaporator and the pipes outside going into the compressor were frozen. I thawed and ran the system. Over the past week this has been a regular occurance. The odd things is that it happens at night and first thing in the morning when I guess the outside temps are cooler. I have no idea if this has anything to do with it or not but I ran the system yesterday afternoon and got cool air, and no freezing.

Do I have a refridgerant leak? Sometimes when the system shuts down I can hear some sort of squealing noise coming from the evaporator. It's nothing mechanical. Almost like somethig is escaping from the pipe.

I have the guy coming over that installed the system but would like some input on what the problem could be or questions to ask.

Thanks.

Boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,787
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Problems with New System


Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomersooner View Post
I had a new condencer, furnace and evaporator installed about 3 weeks ago. Just about a week and a half ago, I woke up one morning realizing that the AC must have run all night. I checked and not cold air was blowing out of the vents. I found that the pipe going into the evaporator and the pipes outside going into the compressor were frozen. I thawed and ran the system. Over the past week this has been a regular occurance. The odd things is that it happens at night and first thing in the morning when I guess the outside temps are cooler. I have no idea if this has anything to do with it or not but I ran the system yesterday afternoon and got cool air, and no freezing.

Do I have a refridgerant leak? Sometimes when the system shuts down I can hear some sort of squealing noise coming from the evaporator. It's nothing mechanical. Almost like somethig is escaping from the pipe.

I have the guy coming over that installed the system but would like some input on what the problem could be or questions to ask.

Thanks.
Yup, either that, or the system was never filled with refrigerant.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 368
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Problems with New System


It sounds like the system might not have been fully charged to begin with. When the tech checks the charge ask him to write down all the temps, especially superheat and subcool. If he has to charge it, ask for the numbers afterwards. You could check the charge yourself to verify what the tech has done. If he's not checking your charge correctly this will put him on notice to do it right, or at least that you might check his work.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,787
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Problems with New System


Quote:
Originally Posted by dac122 View Post
It sounds like the system might not have been fully charged to begin with. When the tech checks the charge ask him to write down all the temps, especially superheat and subcool. If he has to charge it, ask for the numbers afterwards. You could check the charge yourself to verify what the tech has done. If he's not checking your charge correctly this will put him on notice to do it right, or at least that you might check his work.
After the charge, the tech should also use something like Snoop Leak Detector to make sure all fittings are tight and there are no pinhole leaks.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Problems with New System


He came and checked and found nothing wrong. Said the system is not leaking and he did not have to add refridgerant. He did say that it is possible there is an issue with the compressor. He is looking into the replacement under warranty.
Boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,787
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Problems with New System


Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomersooner View Post
He came and checked and found nothing wrong. Said the system is not leaking and he did not have to add refridgerant. He did say that it is possible there is an issue with the compressor. He is looking into the replacement under warranty.
What's the make? Don't say Goodman.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 109
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Problems with New System


Why are you running your ac at night? Isnt your house cool enough at 9 or 10 to shut it down or at least raise the setpoint? It does sound as though there may be a refrigerant charge issue.

statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Well system problems Offalot Plumbing 2 07-10-2008 06:00 PM
New House, new system, poor cooling Faulknertw HVAC 15 07-08-2008 10:06 PM
Steam heating system problems Need HELP smay0808 Plumbing 7 11-05-2007 11:17 PM
Problems with Central Air Cooling System golfgod04 HVAC 4 05-27-2007 08:51 PM
Replace furnace, coil and duct system sps123 HVAC 2 01-07-2006 10:56 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.