DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   Problems with New System (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/problems-new-system-26859/)

Boomersooner 09-15-2008 12:52 PM

Problems with New System
 
I had a new condencer, furnace and evaporator installed about 3 weeks ago. Just about a week and a half ago, I woke up one morning realizing that the AC must have run all night. I checked and not cold air was blowing out of the vents. I found that the pipe going into the evaporator and the pipes outside going into the compressor were frozen. I thawed and ran the system. Over the past week this has been a regular occurance. The odd things is that it happens at night and first thing in the morning when I guess the outside temps are cooler. I have no idea if this has anything to do with it or not but I ran the system yesterday afternoon and got cool air, and no freezing.

Do I have a refridgerant leak? Sometimes when the system shuts down I can hear some sort of squealing noise coming from the evaporator. It's nothing mechanical. Almost like somethig is escaping from the pipe.

I have the guy coming over that installed the system but would like some input on what the problem could be or questions to ask.

Thanks.

handy man88 09-15-2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomersooner (Post 158309)
I had a new condencer, furnace and evaporator installed about 3 weeks ago. Just about a week and a half ago, I woke up one morning realizing that the AC must have run all night. I checked and not cold air was blowing out of the vents. I found that the pipe going into the evaporator and the pipes outside going into the compressor were frozen. I thawed and ran the system. Over the past week this has been a regular occurance. The odd things is that it happens at night and first thing in the morning when I guess the outside temps are cooler. I have no idea if this has anything to do with it or not but I ran the system yesterday afternoon and got cool air, and no freezing.

Do I have a refridgerant leak? Sometimes when the system shuts down I can hear some sort of squealing noise coming from the evaporator. It's nothing mechanical. Almost like somethig is escaping from the pipe.

I have the guy coming over that installed the system but would like some input on what the problem could be or questions to ask.

Thanks.

Yup, either that, or the system was never filled with refrigerant.

dac122 09-15-2008 03:07 PM

It sounds like the system might not have been fully charged to begin with. When the tech checks the charge ask him to write down all the temps, especially superheat and subcool. If he has to charge it, ask for the numbers afterwards. You could check the charge yourself to verify what the tech has done. If he's not checking your charge correctly this will put him on notice to do it right, or at least that you might check his work.

handy man88 09-15-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dac122 (Post 158355)
It sounds like the system might not have been fully charged to begin with. When the tech checks the charge ask him to write down all the temps, especially superheat and subcool. If he has to charge it, ask for the numbers afterwards. You could check the charge yourself to verify what the tech has done. If he's not checking your charge correctly this will put him on notice to do it right, or at least that you might check his work.

After the charge, the tech should also use something like Snoop Leak Detector to make sure all fittings are tight and there are no pinhole leaks.

Boomersooner 09-15-2008 04:53 PM

He came and checked and found nothing wrong. Said the system is not leaking and he did not have to add refridgerant. He did say that it is possible there is an issue with the compressor. He is looking into the replacement under warranty.

handy man88 09-15-2008 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomersooner (Post 158390)
He came and checked and found nothing wrong. Said the system is not leaking and he did not have to add refridgerant. He did say that it is possible there is an issue with the compressor. He is looking into the replacement under warranty.

What's the make? Don't say Goodman.

statman 09-16-2008 07:40 PM

Why are you running your ac at night? Isnt your house cool enough at 9 or 10 to shut it down or at least raise the setpoint? It does sound as though there may be a refrigerant charge issue.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved