Problems Maintaining Consistent Heat During The Night - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Problems maintaining consistent heat during the night

I live in a colonial with three bedrooms on the second floor. Our heating system is oil-fueled forced hot water, baseboard heat. The digital thermostat is in our bedroom, and we normally set it to 68 at about 7pm when our 2-year-old goes to bed. We shut his bedroom door completely, since he likes to sleep in the dark. He's been sick lately and thus not sleeping well, and I noticed when I go into his room in the middle of the night, his room is 62-64 degrees (using a standalone heat/humidity sensor). The baseboards in his room are ice cold. Our room, on the other hand, is 68 degrees at the same time. I understand that the heat won't turn on in his room if the thermostat is reading the target temp, but why is my son's room so cold? Our third bedroom is currently just for storage, but it also seems colder than our room. How can I fix this? I don't want my son to freeze.

Advertisement

Proulx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:40 AM   #2

Is your son's room on the nw corner of the house? Are you keeping your bedroom door closed at night? Does your son's bedroom heat to temp. the rest of the time? You could move the t-stat to the hallway, leave your bedroom door open, leave your son's brdoor open. It's hard to be more specific.

Advertisement

sgthvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:21 AM   #3

sgthvac is on to something here - a thermostat should be in a common area on an inside wall, otherwise the closed room with all the hot monkeys will dictate the heat for the whole house.

If this is not the case then the first thing you need to do is bleed your radiators then balance them.
hychesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #4

When all the bedroom doors are open, it seems to heat evenly. But when his door is closed, his room literally gets no heat it seems. I don't think it makes a difference whether our door is open or closed...we normally sleep with it halfway.

His room is on the NE side of the house.
Proulx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,730

With all the doors open. The cold air in his room escapes to the hallway, and is replaced by warm air from the hallway.

Being in the NE corner, his room loses heat quicker then yours.

Check the CPH setting of your stat. May want to set it to a lower number.

Next thing you can do to help some. Is close the damper on a section of the baseboard in your room.
Also check to make sure the damper for his room is opened fully.

How tight is the door to the carpet?
Also, check the register for A/C if you have an A/C installed in the attic. His room may be getting natural convection cold air from it.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

shutting doors either it be forced air or baseboard away from the stat sensing the avarage temps kills the rooms isolated.might not sound like a lot of heat but with your bedroom....lights on,moving around can actually satisfy the setting on that stat in the bedroom.might consider relocating the stat to the hallway so as to get a better average sensing for all the rooms.putting the stat in your sons room will solve his problem but make one with yours and that empty room.might want to check the boiler temp setting take the HI up a bit if set less then 180F.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #7

also don't forget that a human body can create more than 300 btu per hour each without the monkey stuff

Advertisement

hychesee is offline   Reply With Quote