DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Problem with York HVAC

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MrPPhung 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

I am sitting in a cold house as I write this and looking for some HVAC advice. My townhouse unit is equipped with a 12 year old York HVAC unit. I started to notice strange things happening with the system this summer. When the thermostat hit set point temperature, the condenser unit and air handler would not shut off. By not shutting off, the coils on the condenser ended up freezing up. To improve airflow I changed the filter from a super expensive 3M filter to cheapo fiberglass filter. I also raised my at home AC temp (from 65 to 68) and I thought the problem was solved.

Fast forward to now. The heat is now starting to act up. We have been waking up and coming home to a cold house. The air handler is blowing but the furnace is not kicking on. If I reset the switch at the air handler, I can see the ignitor and furnace kick on. Everything seems fine and dandy for the first cycle but when it kicks in the second time, the furnace never turns on. The air handler will blow cold air until I reset the switch.

Does this sound like a thermostat (honeywell electronic) problem or is there a board/contact/relay on the unit that needs to be inspected? My father in law is a HVAC repairman and I want to make sure I troubleshoot everything I can before I call him over.

Thanks in advance for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
not the thermostat. resetting the power resets the circuit board and it retries to start. could be a dirty flame sensor or other problem. call em up and have him check the whole unit properly.

#3 ·
Should be a sight glass in the blower panel that you can look into and see a flashing LED. thats and error code light, count the flashes, and then remove the panel and look on the legend for what the code means.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.