Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Problem with York HVAC

Hi everyone

I am sitting in a cold house as I write this and looking for some HVAC advice. My townhouse unit is equipped with a 12 year old York HVAC unit. I started to notice strange things happening with the system this summer. When the thermostat hit set point temperature, the condenser unit and air handler would not shut off. By not shutting off, the coils on the condenser ended up freezing up. To improve airflow I changed the filter from a super expensive 3M filter to cheapo fiberglass filter. I also raised my at home AC temp (from 65 to 68) and I thought the problem was solved.

Fast forward to now. The heat is now starting to act up. We have been waking up and coming home to a cold house. The air handler is blowing but the furnace is not kicking on. If I reset the switch at the air handler, I can see the ignitor and furnace kick on. Everything seems fine and dandy for the first cycle but when it kicks in the second time, the furnace never turns on. The air handler will blow cold air until I reset the switch.

Does this sound like a thermostat (honeywell electronic) problem or is there a board/contact/relay on the unit that needs to be inspected? My father in law is a HVAC repairman and I want to make sure I troubleshoot everything I can before I call him over.

Thanks in advance for your help!

MrPPhung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 38

Problem with York HVAC

not the thermostat. resetting the power resets the circuit board and it retries to start. could be a dirty flame sensor or other problem. call em up and have him check the whole unit properly.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 60

Problem with York HVAC

Should be a sight glass in the blower panel that you can look into and see a flashing LED. thats and error code light, count the flashes, and then remove the panel and look on the legend for what the code means.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 0

Problem with York HVAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Should be a sight glass in the blower panel that you can look into and see a flashing LED. thats and error code light, count the flashes, and then remove the panel and look on the legend for what the code means.
Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction! The LED code revealed that furnace was entering lockout mode. After a quick Google search, the first suggestion fixed the problem (sanding all the oxidized gunk off the flame sensor).
MrPPhung is offline   Reply With Quote