Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #1

Share |

Problem Trane XL1000 defrost

The hp will work for around 45 mins (+15) air coming out of the nearest vent to room temp and will stay for an extended period. When you short the test to frc-dft while +15 coming out of the hp it'll start up the defrost, but when the hp is putting out room temp air it will not start the defrost, it'll stop and sit until you turn the thermostat off and back on. Ideas or a good tech in the dc area (martinsburg, wv)?

yahtzein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

why are forcing defrost? What problem are you having that prompted you to open the heat pump electrical panel? Is the HP icing up?

Old 01-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #3

The hp doesn't ice up, but itll stay running with no heat output for hours on in. Now I don't know if the compressor is running, but the fan runs on the hp outside. I had a tech come out and they found nothing, but the heat pump was working when he was here. He also checked the defrost to make sure it worked. I found when I tried the force defrost when the hp is putting out room temp air itll stop and sit doing nothing.

The on demand defrost trane unit should run in heat or defrost for a few minutes or off so what mode is it in then. I'm lost since the tech said it can't do what I said, but since the unit only heats the house 30% of the time since I'm guessing when it should run for 3 hour straight when temps are below 30 itll put out heat for an hour max then nothing for the next 2, before putting some more heat out. So I have to rely mostly on the strips to keep the temp up.

Last edited by yahtzein; 01-26-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzein View Post
The on demand defrost trane unit should run in heat or defrost for a few minutes or off so what mode is it in then??
I don't follow what you are asking. What temp is it outside when the unit will just put out room air? Is this a package unit or split system? If it is a split system you can check the copper lines coming out of the unit when its only putting out room temp. They should be warm to hot.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #5

Split system, the copper is cool/cold (haven't measure with the infrared gun), but probably 60 when its putting out room air temp. Itll go from say 80 output to 66 almost instantly around 45 min of run time. The output doesn't gradually get lower.

The temp is around 33-35 when it happens, but I can make it happen at 40 if I raise the temp 1 degree and thus making the unit run for more than 45 minutes. If the unit turns on and off its fine, but once it get to the balance point itll run all the time. That's normal, but if itll only put out heat for 45 minutes, then 2 hours of room temp its not doing much.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #6

Could the unit be going into overload, but the fan still run on the hp unit then reset after an hour or two and compressor turns back on?

The tech I had check it out said if it went to overload it wouldn't start up again it would have to get turned off and on again
Old 01-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
AKA HVACTECHFW

there is something wrong, the TXV might not be operating properly or the check valve may be sticking. A tech may not catch this if it is not acting up while they are there. Did the tech hook up gauges? Depending on how your system is set up, the strip heat should be coming on and cycling on and off as necessary to maintain the room temp. The other thing that could be happening is that the valves could be starting to go out in the compressor. Honestly it sounds like a possible refrigerant and or thermostat problem. If the system runs for 2 hours straight without putting out heat, then the strip heat is not coming on like it should.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. The heat strips (aux) come on when I have the thermostat programmed to do so. For purposes of troubleshooting what is going on with the heat pump I disabled it, but I turn them on and it stays within the 2 degrees that it should. He hooked up the gauges and checked the charge it was perfect. So I know its not the thermostat or charge.

I tried to create problem for him, but he came early and at that time the heat was working.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #9

Also, the heat pump before he came would run for 45 minutes, then after he came it would for about 2.5 hours (with no defrost cycles done) and then room air again, now its back to 45 minutes
Old 01-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
AKA HVACTECHFW

check that all the sensors are plugged in. check that the sensors are all in their respective wells. especially the one on the lower left, yellow I think......
Old 01-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #11

After checking the sensors I found that the yellow defrost plug into the board is loose and probably causing the problem. Also, found it will run for 45, 90, 135 minutes then defrost or sit off for 45 minutes, and repeat working for 90 and off 45 or up to 3 hours and then it happens, but seems likes its almost always only not working (compressor off, fan running, no heat) for 45 minutes.

If the timer is set for 45 and then when it checks the sensor to see if its closed or open to engage a defrost cycle but the connection is loose or not plugged in what would happen? Would it go through another cycle of 45 or turn off the compressor and wait 45 minutes?