Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #1

Share |

Problem: Thermostat resets itself; Questions

We are remodeling a recently purchased home and noticed that the thermostat is constantly resetting itself. It goes blank, then when I wiggle it, it powers up again and returns to its remembered programming. I'm not living in the home right now, so it appears it is turning itself off and stays that way until I walk in and shake it again.

Does this speak to a problem with the thermostat itself, or could it be a problem with the interaction between the heating unit and the thermostat? I read somewhere that in some cases, the heating/cooling unit's on/off could trigger a reset in the thermostat if it is drawing power from the heating unit. I didn't see any battery in the thermostat.

While researching replacement units I noticed that some thermostats support Automatic Heating/Cooling Changeover while other don't. I tried to find info about this, but not able find anything reliable (Google points me to a few patents on this topic). My guess is it means the thermostat can (or cannot) automatically switch between cooling and heating units if both are connected and the temperature changes to trigger that switchover. Is that a good guess?

The home has a heater and an air conditioning unit, but we don't need to switch between the two because only the heater gets used in the fall/winter and the A/C gets used in the summer. I think this means I can buy a unit that doesn't support Automatic Heating/Cooling Changeover.

rational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #2

Since wiggling the thermostat restores power the first thing I would check is the wiring going into the stat. Ensure the wires are bared and inserted correctly and that the screws are sufficiently tightened. Make sure the power is off at the unit so that you don't short out the low voltage wires.

hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hvac benny For This Useful Post:
rational (02-20-2011)
Old 02-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #3

Thanks, I will try that. The electrical panel was moved and not yet labeled, so it will take some experimenting to figure out how to shutoff power to the heater. Is it good enough to turn off power at the heating furnace (assuming I can locate the power switch)?
rational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #4

Turning off the power to the furnace, or removing the blower door to disengage the door switch will turn off power to the stat.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote