Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
BA!

Rewards Points: 10

Problem with Condo (boiler pipes) Video Included.

Greetings everyone,

OK, I hope I have the right forum for this. I went to plumberszone, but it says I have to be a plumber to post there! So I came here and I really need some help.

I have a somewhat unusual situation. I live in a ground floor condo, the building is only three years old, and I have been here since April 08. The problem started Nov 20th, almost three months now I been living with this horrible High pitch sound that has been driving me crazy! It started when they turned on the boilers to heat the underground parking and defrost the ramps.

NOW I get this high pitch hum in my walls that sounds like a tuning fork (video attached). I have told the contractor for the building about it, he keeps on saying he will fix it now for the three months but nothing has improved. There are 2 big pipes that flow directly underneath my condo unit. I am right beside to main pillars for the building and our contractor here says they are vibrating on that and resonating up to my condo.

He has attempted to chip away at a wall...he has attempted to get the air out of the pipes to stop them from vibrating. He also says that it is velocity of the water that I am hearing, and that there is not much that can be done if that is the case.

The contractor here keeps on blowing me off now, and it's becoming increasingly frustrating. His new fix that he says will work, is he is going to introduce ethylene glycol into the system, he says that should fix it???

After 3 months of him blowing it off and not treating it serious I need a second opinion, but due to condo politics, this contractor is the only one I can use (probably because he has a deal with the property manager not to spend to much money on things like this).

I was really hoping someone here could identify this sound, and maybe suggest a fix? Anything would be great, cause everything has not worked from my contractor, so hopefully someone might suggest a few things here Thanks guys/girls, any help would be appreciated.

Here is the sound on the video (might have to turn your volume up).:

http://idisk.mac.com/cgchris/Public/WallNoiseinHall.v2.mov

Thanks!

BA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,724

If its a loop for snow removal, and defrosting the ramps, it should already have glycol in it.

If it soesn't, glycol may minimize the noise somewhat, but it probably won't eliminate it.

Call the condo manager.
And ask him how long you should hold up your maintanence fee's since this is not being fixed in a timely manor.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
BA!

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
If its a loop for snow removal, and defrosting the ramps, it should already have glycol in it.

If it soesn't, glycol may minimize the noise somewhat, but it probably won't eliminate it.

Call the condo manager.
And ask him how long you should hold up your maintanence fee's since this is not being fixed in a timely manor.

Thanks! Yea, it's getting to a point where something has to be done. I really feel this guy has no idea how to fix it and is just dragging this out or, even worse the fix would cost to much money and they just don't want to do it.
BA! is offline   Reply With Quote