Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Primary condensation line clogged

I have a clogged primary condensation line. My 4 year old noticed the secondary was dripping outside his bedroom window. I could not find an outlet outside the house to vacuum out so it must drain into the indoor plumbing. I don't see how to access the trap to clean it out without cutting it( which I'm not comfortable with.) I checked the pipe after the trap and it is water free which must mean the clog is in the trap or before it, right??? Or just could the clog be after the trap even though I don't see water in the vertical open pipe?? What are my options to fix the clog? Could I place a vacuum on the vertical open pipe after the trap and pull the clog out there or would it also pull from the sewer? My secondary line is working but that is a backup and I don't wanna have it fail too and flood our attic.

Thanks.

Last edited by whitenerj; 08-01-2012 at 08:03 AM.
whitenerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #2

Cut clean and glue in a coupling.
Or obtain an actual trap with a clean out instead of that heatgun bent makeshift one that's there.

I suppose you could open up the unit and see if you could get at it from inside and hit it with a blast of compressed air. Also it could be plugged before the 'trap'..

Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 18

You can install a drain pan and/or drain line float safety cut off switch to prevent flooding. What these switches do is cut off the condenser (or all of the system, however it's wired in) when condensate water backs up either in the main drain or the drain pan.

You can open the service panel and get to the opening of the drain from the inside but that's a pain in the rear. Best bet is to cut it open at the air handler, leaving enough pvc on each end for a coupling to attach to, and blow it out. Then re-attach with a coupling making certain to use pvc cement/glue.

Also, your main drain, with the trap, needs to be insulated for at least the first 10'.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evstarr View Post
Cut clean and glue in a coupling.
Or obtain an actual trap with a clean out instead of that heatgun bent makeshift one that's there.

I suppose you could open up the unit and see if you could get at it from inside and hit it with a blast of compressed air. Also it could be plugged before the 'trap'..
that is a P trap. it is factory made not feild made with heat. I don't like them as much as a field made one with elbows or the EZ trap (commerial made sepecial trap for HVAC equipment with clean out and overflow switch).

You can drill a small hole (say 1/4")in the top of the 90 degree elbow where it first turns down in the p trap. blow it out with compressed air and tape the hole closed with electrical tape. This is realy a short term fix and the elbow you drill should be replace.
You could also ge a 3/4" pvc union and glue it in before the elbow. this will allow it to be cleaned now and in the future.
turnermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #5

you can't access that pan from the other side... try to taping the elbow and trap with the hanle of a screwdiver might loosen the gunk up...what about that small plate covering the lines...the major fix in to install a tee with a nipple on the vertcal and a cap on "between the elbow and the unit" it for clean outs

Last edited by biggles; 08-01-2012 at 07:02 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #6

I would try to access through inside of AHU. If not use a vacuum and it should suck up restriction before pulling from wherever it drains
ResidentialTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentialTech View Post
I would try to access through inside of AHU. If not use a vacuum and it should suck up restriction before pulling from wherever it drains
thats a trane or american standard air handler. that is one of the hardest to access this way. I would not even recoment a home owner try. just my opinion.
turnermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #8

Turnermech, I stand corrected on that fitting.
Thank you.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 18

Put a shop vac onto the upright pipe and suck away!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Put a shop vac onto the upright pipe and suck away!
It looks that way. My mechanic for my office installed a new machine a few months ago, I have 6 in total . I pray a lot during the summer.

He put a T sort of like that but put a little cap on top. He said to gentlly pour in a cap full of bleach.

He is not crazy about wet vac pressure. I would be careful of full wet vac pressure. I always use my hand to modulate it a bit.

FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote