Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #1

Share |

Previous owner took AC Compressor, what should I replace with?

Previous owner decided it'd be nice to keep the outdoor AC compressor.

The indoor coil is a Goodman Model chpf3636b6ba, details from http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Portals/0/pdf/SS/SS-GCoil.pdf
say its 3 Tons, uses R-22 or R-410 refrigerant and I believe is 13 Seer.

What AC compressor should I get to match above? Should I match the brand? Match 3 ton?

Home is in CA - South Bay Area, 1700 sq ft, 2 stories.

Is this a good option/price?
http://salestores.com/goodmangsx13.h...FYR7QgodLnkADQ
amdspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #2

Weirdly funny. Was this a rental?
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

You really need to bring in a certified hvac contractor that can do a proper assessment of your needs. With the temps higher than normal, it changes the calculations. It could have been a 2 ton out there, could have been a 2.5 ton, or even 3 ton, who knows.

You need to have the contractor on sight to check everything over, and also inspect the existing equipment to make sure no other damages were done by this ex-homeowner.

I am guessing this was a foreclosure, so it is not common for people to take everything that they can, to try and get money for it, by selling it for scrap or someone else. There have been cases that homeowners have removed the plumbing, electrical wires, panels, all fixtures in the kitchens and baths, door knobs, cabinets, etc.. You name it, they have taken it with them, then trashed the rest of the place.

Then you have the ones that turn on the water, leave the place wide open to the weather, so the bank gets a structure that is uninhabitable, and it has to be torn down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdspitfire View Post

The indoor coil is a Goodman Model chpf3636b6ba, details from http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Portals/0/pdf/SS/SS-GCoil.pdf

What AC compressor should I get to match above? Should I match the brand? Match 3 ton?
[/URL]
Yes.
Did you purchase this house from someone? He can not just take the compressor unless you agreed upon that at settlement.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #5

Saw an ad on Craigslist the other day it said moving tomorrow, first person here with 40dollars get newly installed ac condensor!

Gotta love todays society!
gregzoll (06-29-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
Yes.
Did you purchase this house from someone? He can not just take the compressor unless you agreed upon that at settlement.
From 2012 Foreclosure: All circuit breakers were removed

Now this one is from 2008, so why are they asking in 2013 about the same thing? Hmm AC condenser install quote question

Again in 2008 Need help with permit/city got a Stop Work Order.

Sounds like the OP has a history of purchasing flippers.

: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
Weirdly funny. Was this a rental?
Foreclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You really need to bring in a certified hvac contractor that can do a proper assessment of your needs. With the temps higher than normal, it changes the calculations. It could have been a 2 ton out there, could have been a 2.5 ton, or even 3 ton, who knows.

You need to have the contractor on sight to check everything over, and also inspect the existing equipment to make sure no other damages were done by this ex-homeowner.

I am guessing this was a foreclosure, so it is not common for people to take everything that they can, to try and get money for it, by selling it for scrap or someone else. There have been cases that homeowners have removed the plumbing, electrical wires, panels, all fixtures in the kitchens and baths, door knobs, cabinets, etc.. You name it, they have taken it with them, then trashed the rest of the place.

Then you have the ones that turn on the water, leave the place wide open to the weather, so the bank gets a structure that is uninhabitable, and it has to be torn down.
Yup foreclosure, they did take everything they could. Didn't worry about the AC compressor till now. Heat worked great though, local utility did come and check that and everything was fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
Yes.
Foreclosure, no agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalplumber View Post
Saw an ad on Craigslist the other day it said moving tomorrow, first person here with 40dollars get newly installed ac condensor!

Gotta love todays society!
I'd be happy to buy back everything if I could find the guy!

Quote:
From 2012 Foreclosure: All circuit breakers were removed

Now this one is from 2008, so why are they asking in 2013 about the same thing? Hmm AC condenser install quote question

Again in 2008 Need help with permit/city got a Stop Work Order.

Sounds like the OP has a history of purchasing flippers.
LOL, no flipping just a portfolio of foreclosed homes. 2008 thread was for another property.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
LOL, no flipping just a portfolio of foreclosed homes. 2008 thread was for another property.
In most of our necks of the woods, that is called Flipping.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Experienced HVAC Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdspitfire

Home is in CA - South Bay Area, 1700 sq ft, 2 stories.

Is this a good option/price?
http://salestores.com/goodmangsx13.h...FYR7QgodLnkADQ
Is it really just the compressor or the whole condenser. I would think you would get more money from the whole thing not just the small compressor inside
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #10

OK so you bought a foreclosure and in doing so you either knew or discovered once you had full access to the property that the condensing unit was missing.

Not that it matters, it just paints the full picture.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #11

Quote:
I'd call it flipping if he sold them. Sounds like he's keeping them, maybe as rentals?

I see HVAC sabotage as a great opportunity to knock $10k off my offer and get a new system that's sized right and works much better than the one that was in there.

I'm living in a foreclosure now. When I bought it, there was a 1970s 100,000 BTUH Chrysler sitting in place, the ducting lined up perfectly but wasn't attached. The gas and electric were just hanging there near the furnace. The only flue in the house was a 8x8 masonry chimney that was not connected to the furnace, so I assume the missing furnace was also 80%. My theory was that the previous owner had a new furnace, bought years after the mortgage loan, that he figured was his because the bank didn't pay for it. And he still had the original, so he took the new and stuck the old there.

This was good news to me, for not only did I get the house on a lowball offer, I could put in the hybrid system I wanted using the money I saved on the purchase price. When paying $2/gallon for propane, a 1.5 ton heat pump backed up by a 2 stage 95% 45,000 BTUH furnace beats the heck out of a 100k 80% furnace, especially when the house has about 800cfm worth of ducts.

Last edited by taxmantoo; 06-30-2013 at 09:48 AM.
taxmantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #12

If you're keeping the house as a rental I'd have someone give you a price for installing a new complete system.

If the previous owner removed the condenser it's hard to say what else was done or has happened and to get piece of mind and a trouble free WARRANTIED system I'd pay the extra amount.

My equipment's warranties are full 10 year if it's a complete system. If I put a condenser on an existing system the warranty reverts to 1 year because now it is considered repair.

On foreclosures I'd be looking down the road at "what can I do to eliminate future costs due to unknowns?".
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old_squid For This Useful Post:
digitalplumber (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Once you sell its considered a flip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC1000 View Post
Is it really just the compressor or the whole condenser. I would think you would get more money from the whole thing not just the small compressor inside
You're right its the full condenser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalplumber View Post
OK so you bought a foreclosure and in doing so you either knew or discovered once you had full access to the property that the condensing unit was missing.

Not that it matters, it just paints the full picture.

Thanks.
I like to stick to the important details

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
I'd call it flipping if he sold them. Sounds like he's keeping them, maybe as rentals?

I see HVAC sabotage as a great opportunity to knock $10k off my offer and get a new system that's sized right and works much better than the one that was in there.

I'm living in a foreclosure now. When I bought it, there was a 1970s 100,000 BTUH Chrysler sitting in place, the ducting lined up perfectly but wasn't attached. The gas and electric were just hanging there near the furnace. The only flue in the house was a 8x8 masonry chimney that was not connected to the furnace, so I assume the missing furnace was also 80%. My theory was that the previous owner had a new furnace, bought years after the mortgage loan, that he figured was his because the bank didn't pay for it. And he still had the original, so he took the new and stuck the old there.

This was good news to me, for not only did I get the house on a lowball offer, I could put in the hybrid system I wanted using the money I saved on the purchase price. When paying $2/gallon for propane, a 1.5 ton heat pump backed up by a 2 stage 95% 45,000 BTUH furnace beats the heck out of a 100k 80% furnace, especially when the house has about 800cfm worth of ducts.
House is new, so nothing old and broken, of what's remaining of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_squid View Post
If you're keeping the house as a rental I'd have someone give you a price for installing a new complete system.

If the previous owner removed the condenser it's hard to say what else was done or has happened and to get piece of mind and a trouble free WARRANTIED system I'd pay the extra amount.

My equipment's warranties are full 10 year if it's a complete system. If I put a condenser on an existing system the warranty reverts to 1 year because now it is considered repair.

On foreclosures I'd be looking down the road at "what can I do to eliminate future costs due to unknowns?".
Understand the warranty aspect but I'd also be paying a lot more to replace the remainder of the system that's only a couple years old.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Once you sell its considered a flip.

You're right its the full condenser.

I like to stick to the important details

House is new, so nothing old and broken, of what's remaining of course.

Understand the warranty aspect but I'd also be paying a lot more to replace the remainder of the system that's only a couple years old.

No one was slamming you, just trying to get the full picture because you failed to provide it. You led us to believe you bought it and it was stolen!

You came here for help, now you want to slam folks?

So you are a house flipper, and you are looking for the best deal to replace the missing condenser. That is what this boils down to.

As others have stated, you should contact a license HVAC contractor and have a correct unit installed.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #15

Confused me some more.
Is this a new house, foreclosed on the builder's construction loan?
Or a used house, maybe about two years old? (as if the original buyer never made a mortgage payment?)
taxmantoo is offline   Reply With Quote