Preventive Maintenance - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Preventive maintenance

Heads up PM time depends where you live.

Lets get ready and not wait until it's 80- 90 degrees to turn them on.

Don't forget to turn the main circuit breaker on a couple hours before starting to heat the crank case up if you have crankcase heaters. OUT

Advertisement

SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Preventive maintenance

Haven't seen a CCH on any ac around here in 15 years.

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 252

Preventive maintenance

My son got a post card from his contractor, probably one of the largest, premier Carrier dealer in the Philly area 'inviting' him to schedule his a/c PM. They had set up the appointment for March 15th.

I told him to cancel that appointment, which he did.

Do y'all think it's a bit on the unethical side to schedule PMs when the daytime ODT is running about 40 - 45* tops?

Clover, are you saying that manufacturers haven't been including them? How long?

V
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Preventive maintenance

Some exception on larger tonnages, but not the smaller stuff.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,684

Preventive maintenance

Companies/techs, that work on A/C units that do server rooms, or oher rooms that need A/C in low ambient temps, have no problem doing a PM when its 40 outside.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 862

Preventive maintenance

Crankcase heaters consume electricity 24hrs a day and lower the SEER rating. I will not start my A/C unless it is 70 deg F outside for at least a few days so the ambiant temp will warm up the compressor. PMs in cool weather are somewhat useless as there is not enough load on the compressor to properly test it IMO. I go back on lots of them (by other techs) in hotter weather only to find undercharged units. The company likes them done in any weather as we get incredibly backlogged when the first hot day comes and hundreds of calls pour in.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:07 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Preventive maintenance

Yuri.

See if you can get some of those techs. To start looking at HP's operating readings in cooling mode. When they are on a call during the milder winter temps.

Or, when they are doing a spring PM on a unit thats a heat pump. Have them check it in both heating and cooling mode.
And start logging the ambient conditions.
Indoor and outdoor ambient conditions.
SH, and SC.

Then later in summer, when you find some that are under, or over charged, point it out to that tech.
They'll eventually catch on that they need to use those readings no matter what the ambient conditions are.

Just looking at pressures, they can't tell if its charged right or not.
And many times techs are pushed not to take too much time on a PM check.

I use to hate checking units in early spring.
Until I started working on units for computer/electronics rooms that need A/C year round.

I carry an automotive remote starter switch to cycle the outdoor fan. When I check systems at lower outdoor ambients.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Preventive maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesubotee View Post
My son got a post card from his contractor, probably one of the largest, premier Carrier dealer in the Philly area 'inviting' him to schedule his a/c PM. They had set up the appointment for March 15th.

I told him to cancel that appointment, which he did.

Do y'all think it's a bit on the unethical side to schedule PMs when the daytime ODT is running about 40 - 45* tops?

V

I was gonna stay out of this, as this not my area of expertise, but this quote really bugs me. "Largest, Premier, Carrier" these words get thrown out like they are royalty. I have seen it so many times that this profile of company is the antithesis of its claims. Where I live we have that exact description and I can tell you, from being on the inside that the homeowners best interest is rarely taken into account.

Find someone you know and trust. So what if they can't afford full page newspaper ads telling that you can get a "free furnace ". None of that makes them good at taking care of you issues.

Your son did the right thing. Now help him find a real service professional. If I have misjudged this company, my apology is in advance.

Good Luck
Old 03-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
Hvac Pro

Preventive maintenance

Beenthere :Unfortunately we have VERY few heatpumps here as it is too damn cold. LOL. I can charge a unit down to 50degF but only because I/we have YEARS of experience. The other major problem is mismatched units, poor airflows, worn compressors, undersized ductwork and all the other problems which change the pressures etc. Takes years to understand how all that fits into the charging equation.

Last edited by yuri; 03-25-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 252

Preventive maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Air Direct View Post
I was gonna stay out of this, as this not my area of expertise, but this quote really bugs me. "Largest, Premier, Carrier" these words get thrown out like they are royalty. I have seen it so many times that this profile of company is the antithesis of its claims. Where I live we have that exact description and I can tell you, from being on the inside that the homeowners best interest is rarely taken into account.

Find someone you know and trust. So what if they can't afford full page newspaper ads telling that you can get a "free furnace ". None of that makes them good at taking care of you issues.

Your son did the right thing. Now help him find a real service professional. If I have misjudged this company, my apology is in advance.

Good Luck
Those were my words, not those of the company. Actually, I should say that they are probably the largest (volume) dealer in the area. They did a decent job on installing his new furnace and a/c.

On balance, I think they are typical of most of the contractors that I have interviewed. They don't expect you to know when they're b.s. ing you.

I gave them the opportunity to bid my replacement. When asked about a Man J, they said it couldn't be done since the ductwork was already installed.

Cross off one (more) contractor.

V
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Preventive maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Beenthere :Unfortunately we have VERY few heatpumps here as it is too damn cold. LOL. I can charge a unit down to 50degF but only because I/we have YEARS of experience. The other major problem is mismatched units, poor airflows, worn compressors, undersized ductwork and all the other problems which change the pressures etc. Takes years to understand how all that fits into the charging equation.
LOL... I keep forgetting your in Canada.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
Hvac Pro

Preventive maintenance

We actually have Hot and humid weather here. In Manitoba we have the Carberry desert and the Germans would send their tank crews to train there, along with our guys. No camels though.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Preventive maintenance

Have you been approached yet about the Hallowell cold climate heat pumps.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
Hvac Pro

Preventive maintenance

What's that? Just joking. Are you familiar with them?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,360

Preventive maintenance

Sorry to interrupt you Yuri and beenthere. I just have a quick question.

I had my furnace and A/C installed in about 2005. Since it's still pretty new, do you think I need to have someone do some pre-maintenance on the A/C yet?

Thanks

Advertisement

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote