Prestige IAQ - Low Temp Lock Out For A/C ? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Prestige IAQ - low temp lock out for A/C ?

Hi guys I have a Prestige thermostat with IAQ board and a RF out door temp sensor. I have just had a 3 ton A/C unit installed and all is working well. But I was told by the techs who installed the system to make sure I do not run the A/C compressor below 55'F or 13'C. Well I noticed last night the the system was kicking on the odd time with out over night outdoor temp being at 9'C. So I would like to set my Prestige to lock out the A/C compressor from starting if the temp is below 13'C to prevent damage. Problem is the techs have no idea how to program this controller and I had to assist them in just adding the cooling stage so the new system would work. Honeywell is telling me to contact the hvac company that did the work. So I am stuck in this loop of no help.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Landon

Advertisement

Landonth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Experienced HVAC Tech

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landonth
Hi guys I have a Prestige thermostat with IAQ board and a RF out door temp sensor. I have just had a 3 ton A/C unit installed and all is working well. But I was told by the techs who installed the system to make sure I do not run the A/C compressor below 55'F or 13'C. Well I noticed last night the the system was kicking on the odd time with out over night outdoor temp being at 9'C. So I would like to set my Prestige to lock out the A/C compressor from starting if the temp is below 13'C to prevent damage. Problem is the techs have no idea how to program this controller and I had to assist them in just adding the cooling stage so the new system would work. Honeywell is telling me to contact the hvac company that did the work. So I am stuck in this loop of no help.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Landon
Contact your hvac company then have them call honeywell. Honeywell does not like to tell homeowners how to do things on pro grade equipment but they r fine talking to contractors. I guess honeywell is afraid u will mess it up or that we will get mad because they compromised our job security. I think it's kinda silly but that's just me

Advertisement

HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #3

But what I am looking to do can be done on this model ?

Thanks for you input. I will call them and ask them to do just that.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
Experienced HVAC Tech

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landonth
But what I am looking to do can be done on this model ?

Thanks for you input. I will call them and ask them to do just that.
I am not familiar enough to say weather or not it is capable of that function but it may be
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,094

no, it can not be done with the thermostat. You need to add a mechanical outdoor thermostat to do what you want to do.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,516

Your A/C was running when it was 48F outside? What temp did you have the thermostat set to. Few houses need cooling when its that cold/cool outside.
hvactech126 (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Your A/C was running when it was 48F outside? What temp did you have the thermostat set to. Few houses need cooling when its that cold/cool outside.
We have a portable RF honeywell thermostat in our bedroom (2nd story) and it has been cooling off quite quickly out side but the house is holding heat still. Temp was set to 20'C and when I got up to let the dog out last night I seen it was below 13'C out and the A/C had kicked on for a few minutes. Not sure what kind of damage this could cause but I would like to avoid any damage at all if I can.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,516

It can cause liquid refrigerant to wash the oil out of the compressor, if the compressor doesn't have a crank case heater.

Setting your thermostat to 68F at night time will cause it to run when the outdoor temps are low. Set the program schedule to let the house temp rise to 75F/24C when you go to bed.

Advertisement