Pressure Testing And Solder Repairs - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Pressure testing and solder repairs

Per my other post, I figure I might try to ask a simple question on solder joints.

What I found as my leak source is probably the most unlikely but proves my luck sometimes. My line set was run under a sewer line that just happened to be leaking and eroded a small area on the liquid line. I carefully inspected the suction and liquid 2ft each way from the damage and hole was about needle size and over all damage was about the size of a pencil eraser. I was going to cut and install a coupler but decided if I just run silver solder all the way around the joint, it would probably be just the same.

I pressure tested to 80psi with N. That is as high as my reg went. It holds perfect and holding vacuum perfect but 80psi ain't 300psi either.

Realizing this might come down to the quality of my repair (used to work for a plumbing co) but if a system holds at 80psi, should there still be concern here?

Reason I am most concerned is cost of R-22 and lack of low pressure cutout switch. I was VERY lucky this happened while I was home and knew to shut it down before it all drained out. The liquid line did not have any oily residue on it so I suspect no oil loss either.

I guess now that I am done, I am concerned that my repair is sub par. Probably should have cut and installed coupler. I knew I was going to have to make do with just map gas torch, no O2 today. PITA!

Advertisement

viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

15% silphos is actually stronger than the copper that has been heated. It should hold just fine.

Advertisement

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

any pinholes can be basically painted with a brazing rod whensanded and fluxed...the line isn't that big so heating it with MAP is OK for "swetting" the joints 95/5 but not on a LL suction lines only can't braze with MAP
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,496

Soft solder? Be a better safer repair with 15% sil flos.
hvactech126 (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,044

Might be a good idea to install a LP cutout somewhere out in the condenser, not only for that reason.