Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:14 PM   #1

Share |

Prepare ceiling in basement for future AC installation

I am finishing a bathroom in my basement. The bathroom is "sandwiched" between the exterior wall and the unfinished utility area where the furnace sits. It is a fairly new house and when I got an estimate for the central A/C in the past, they said the outside unit would connect to the furnace for distributing the air to the house.

I probably won't install the new A/C in a couple of years but I would like to put any ductwork needed from the outside to the furnace now so i don't have to tear the ceiling in the bathroom later. There are currently two 6" pipes between from the furnace to the outside right around where the AC unit would probably be, they are not connected to anything at either end and just end on one side of the furnace so I am assuming they are there for exhaust venting of the furnace.

Can anyone tell me what ductwork is typically needed? Thanks! Rodrigo
ordoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:18 AM   #2

Prepare ceiling in basement for future AC installation

DEPENDING ON THE SIZE (TONNAGE BEING USED) youll need copper refrigerant lines one gets insulated, a power wire 220v and a tstat wire18 gauge as well as vinyl tubeing if a pump will be used to remove the condensdate (3/8 ths)
you may be able to find some companys to come out and give you a free estimate and they could tell you what size pipes are required after doing a heat load calc. for your house (called a manual J calc.)
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hvac installation