DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Power Vent Water Heater Replacing Draft Vent

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  sktn77a 
#1 ·
First, I'd like to thank everyone on this forum for their willingness to share. It's been a pleasure to learn from such a knowledgeable community.

My latest query involves replacing my aged water heater. Presently, I'm leaning towards a power vent model, though I'm in no way married to that decision so if you have other suggestions please speak up. I don't plan to replace the furnace at this time though I'd like to consider the implications of water heater decisions on future furnace replacement.

1) Is it possible to plumb a power vent water heater to a natural draft flue? If so, how should it be done with my current situation? My guess is no, but I want to ask the question anyway and I'd like to understand why. Even if it is possible to vent that way, wouldn't I need combustion air from outside?

2) What are the regulations regarding vent/intake distance from the ground and/or windows. The most direct route from my water heater to the outside is about 15' to the north side of my house. The attached pictures show the clearances available to me. The water heater vents would need to be located between the dryer vent and the window. Is that acceptable?

I'm sure I've overlooked some important concepts so please raise them. Thank you for your advice!

See less See more
#4 ·
Do you have a reno plan that requires a powervented HWT?.
I've only seen clients who wanted to move their tank to a location too far away from a chimney to vent normally or somebody wanting to completely remove a chimney, choose a power vented HWT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.