Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 524

posted in wrong spot- cold air wood grates???

4just1don

My Photos

old style wood grates in floor-cold air
My house is old and USED to have an old gravity octapus with NO fan. had new high efficency furnace put in using old duct work,,,the kind with 2 PVC pipes running outside

When house was built on 30's or 40's with nice pine floors I am trying to bring back to life,,,these egg grate type 'wooden' cold air grates were over the cold air returns,,,right in the actual floor. Some are about a foot wide and a joist long(wide) which is 16" some are foot by 2 joists or 32" or so. The problem is IF a chair or anything else heavy(like a bed leg),,,including walking on them,,,they fall thru and crack worse than they are already. Time has NOT been there friend,some are in bad shape.

The joists were just tinned underneath for a cold air chute,,,in the basement

Now that I have a forced air system I am guessing I dont NEED all this free air space of these huge grates. How do I close them up to 'look' more modern and be more functional,,,maybe get down to a smaller size metal grate,,,I would prefer them to be on the walls but cant figure out how to get them there,,,have wide 8" pine NICE looking old wood base trim(no hole in the floor plate behind that)

How do I figure out what size I need?? 4 rooms have cold air returns,kitchen does not, small house,,maybe 750 square feet max.

And how do I fill in those huge holes without looking like a patch job in tongue and groove 3" pine flooring??

Thanks for any assitance and ideas!!-d-

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

posted in wrong spot- cold air wood grates???

if it were me, i'd rebuild the wooden grates with thicker, stronger wood.... but that's just me. Po)

DM