Possible Lennox Furnace Ignitor Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Possible Lennox Furnace ignitor problem

Hi All,

Some help if you can. I have a Lennox Conservator III G16 model # G16q3x-50-1 Furnace. The furnace stopped producing heat and doesn't turn on the pilot, and burners. I had the gas company come out to check if there was a problem with gas, they checked the gas and said that part was fine. They said it had to be an electrical problem most likely the ignitor. I have checked out the thermostat in the house to see if that was the problem and it seems to be fine. This is a roughly 23 year old unit, it worked great the last time it started the burners (fan, etc.). Looking at the unit, and seing the parts available, when replacing the ignitor do you replace just the ignitor or the whole assembly there (I am seeing some ignitor modules when looking parts, I don't know if this is just newer models?)? Also, either way I am having trouble finding parts in the short look that I have done because very few companies search reveal any units by that model number, and I am anticipating it being the age. How can I research and find the parts I will need?

Advertisement

Paulg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

Try this link

http://www.midwesthvacparts.com/Prod...nox-18g90.aspx

Advertisement

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plumber101 For This Useful Post:
Paulg1 (11-30-2010)
Old 11-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you, that looks exactly like the part on my furnace. I have taken a closer look after learning more. I noticed that the ground seems loose but that looks like it is just the way it is made. Does that make sense? The wire has a bell type sleeve that goes over top of the ground peice on the ignitor module (I believe it is called, where all the wires from everything seem to connect). The peice on the ignitor module is simply a metal "point", the wire has the typical insulation sleeve with the wire inside that simply "touches the point" when the bell sleeve is sitting on top of the "point" on the ignitor module. I know my lack of technical vocabulary is making this sound crazy, I can attach images if that would help.
Paulg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

There's about a 99.999% chance a 23 year old G16 has cracks in every cell of the heat exchanger. I'd advise to get that checked before spending any money on parts.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty S. For This Useful Post:
Paulg1 (11-30-2010)
Old 11-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 700

Lets start in the beginning. I am a Lennox tech along with my bud Marty. Does the exhaust fan run when the tstat calls for heat. That needs to happen first B4 any ignition/igniting. And yes the heat ex is probably shot. Less than 5% of the G16's are alive in my area and we sold 10,000 or more of them. I would replace it with a 95% efficient high efficiency unit before year end as there are some rebates available until then.

Last edited by yuri; 11-26-2010 at 05:41 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
Paulg1 (11-30-2010)

Tags
furnace , hvac , ignitor , lennox