Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Possible compressor issues???

Ok, so I turn on my ac for the first time this year. I notice it's not cool. I also notice outside compressor fan is not turning, but buzzing. I replace the fan. It works great, however still no cooling. I take the capacitor in to be checked. It's a dual and it's bad. I replace the capacitor. Still no cooling. I remove the fuse by the outside unit. I look beside the capacitor and notice what looks like a junction box(is this the relay I have read about?) It's where all the wires seem to join. I remember there was a reset button of sorts on this, but it is already in the "in" position..but when I touch it I feel a buzz...not sure if this is normal. I also have noticed that when I run the unit for a bit, then remove the fan that the compressor is not even warm.
So either the compressor is shot or it's just not starting. I am not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated...at least it's going to be cool here a few more days...

chaoskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskid View Post
Ok, so I turn on my ac for the first time this year. I notice it's not cool. I also notice outside compressor fan is not turning, but buzzing. I replace the fan. It works great, however still no cooling. I take the capacitor in to be checked. It's a dual and it's bad. I replace the capacitor. Still no cooling. I remove the fuse by the outside unit. I look beside the capacitor and notice what looks like a junction box(is this the relay I have read about?) It's where all the wires seem to join. I remember there was a reset button of sorts on this, but it is already in the "in" position..but when I touch it I feel a buzz...not sure if this is normal. I also have noticed that when I run the unit for a bit, then remove the fan that the compressor is not even warm.
So either the compressor is shot or it's just not starting. I am not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated...at least it's going to be cool here a few more days...

Check the terminals on the bottom of the compressor( make sure power is off) You may have a terminal burn off the compressor

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #3

I am guessing this is different from where the 3 wires run into the compressor, correct? because I dont see anything running under it....
Old 04-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
HVAC / Plumbing

It should have a small plastic cover over the wires.. On the lower side. not under on the botton.. Guess I should have been a little more specific.. That reset button ( as you call it) is probably the contactor.. Buzz sound is normal

Last edited by kenmac; 04-25-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #5

Just checked it...looks like the wires run into the rubber cover. I wedged it off and gave a quick inspection...looks good. We are going to get some compressed air and blow out the area where the contactor is at since he looks pretty dirty. Maybe it's preventing a good connection. Whats the best way to tell if the compressor is running...do I need to disable the fan so I can actually hear it?
Old 04-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
HVAC / Plumbing

you should be able to hear it. If the contactor is pulled in .Check the wires at the compressor with v.m. You should get 110 v per leg for a total of 220 v. Did you wire the cap. back correctly ?

Last edited by kenmac; 04-25-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #7

Ok, blew it out. I shut the power off at the breaker before I did. I also noticed that the button on the contactor was out after I did that and was back in again after I turned it on. Still not cool. I'll check the voltage as you suggested since I definately cannot hear anything but the fan turning.
And I appreciate the help....
Old 04-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #8

Ok, so after further reasearch, it appears I have a leak on one of my coils on the inside of my outside unit. The compressor seems to be working fine. I disconnected the fan and when I turned the unit on I could hear a hissing sound...and I could feel air coming out of one of the coils. This unit is only 7 years old...is that normal??? Is this a repairable thing or am I looking at replacing the unit??? This sucks....
Old 04-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,710

Sometimes they can be repaired.
Sometimes they can't.

Need a tech to look at it, and see if it can be repaired.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
as seen on tv

Rewards Points: 150

Everything can be fixed $$$$
qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:39 AM   #11

If the leak is in the copper yes it can be repaired . If in the aluminum no
bristol 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #12

Ok, so I had a tech come out. The leak is in the copper. Here's what he said. $145 to repair and see if system will hold a nitrogen charge. If that works, an additional $500 to refill with R22 refrigerant. If it doesn't work, $3000 for a new unit. This is a 2 1/2 ton unit. Do these prices sound correct????
And again, thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Is that 3000 for replacing both the outdoor and indoor unit, or just the outdoor.

His other prices sound fine.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #14

$3000 for the outdoor unit....but it would be changed out to the 410(I believe that is right....not R22) which would involve replacing the coils in the inside unit too...
Old 05-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Have to have matching outdoor and indoor unit( or at least a matching indoor coil) to get the outdoor units rated efficiency.
Weather its R410A, or R22.

Tags
compressor capacitor buzz