Possible Blower? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Possible Blower?

Greetings all.

I have an American Standard Freedom 90vs Heating and Air Conditioning unit which decided that it no longer wanted to work the Winter season on me. I believe it was installed in '02.

Right now, It has the 2 flash signal going which, according to the sticker on the inside of the panel, means "External Lockout (Retries or recycles exceeded)".

Now to the description in which I try my best to explain to the people who actually know what's going on, in which they will inevitably tell me fancy names instead of "Glowing Stick Thingy"

First I checked the indicator light, it had the steady blink of goodness, next it goes to the fast blink of "Call for Heat". Then the following happens.

I removed the Burner door to see what's up with it, and watched the the startup sequence. Here's what happens. The Blower kicks on (revs up high then sounds like it slows to a regular pace), the pilot ligherish glowing stick thingy imluminates. i hear click, see all 3 flames kick on, they appear to begin to burn properly and "accellerate" into the holes (probably an increase of gas to them, but I have no idea of the tech specs), then a couple more clicks from something below the burner area, the flames go out, about 20-30 seconds later the blower revs up, then back to how it first was.

It'll run through that cycle like 3 times, then the indicator light goes to a 2 flash error code.

So what I have done so far is checked the fusebox (all breakers are proper), I've checked to verify the gas is turned on (i'm in the City so I dont think it should be a flow issue to the furnance), I've cleaned the flame sensor (Thanks to Houston204's info), checked the filter (new and clean), and read more pages in forums than I thought humanly possible.

Any help would be appreciated! I blindly point at the blower because it revs up, then slows down. I do apologize that I can not describe better what slow is, but basically it still spins but not as fast as when it revs up.

Thank you for any help!

Advertisement

BradP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,560

Possible Blower?

Check your flue and vent pipe for obstructions.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Possible Blower?

I checked the vents and the flue. Found a couple leaves but nothing that was significant. I cleaned everything I could and still no dice.

I called up the local repair shop and he came out and spent 2 hours testing everything before deciding that systemboard was dropping voltage to something. Found out that they no longer make just the board for my furnance, but they make a repair kit that has the cables, board, and blower (basically from a new deivce). Total bill was just under $1k.

I appreciate your suggestions. Just wanted to post back with the solution!

Have a good one!
BradP is offline   Reply With Quote