Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #1

Share |

Portable A/C

Hello,

I have a dilemma that hopefully someone can help me with.

I recently moved into a new house and rebuild part of the basement into an office. The structure of the basement is such, that the office does not have any windows or access to the outside. As the summer season came upon us, it turned to be unbearably hot in the room. I was hoping that it would not get so bad when building the room under the premise that most of the basement is below the ground, but it turned out to not being the case. I am looking to purchase a portable A/C and was wondering whether I could use it at all without the exhaust pipe. I do realize that by doing this both hot and cold air will circulate in the room, but was hoping that at least this way it would improve the current conditions.
If there are other suggestions, I am open to them as well. Any input to this problem is welcome.
Thanks,
Art
art2670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
oops, did I do that!

Portable A/C

Most folks dont have any idea just how much heat is generated by lights, computers, printers, fax machines and the human body. (heat gain).

Portables need to be vented to the outside. They also have lengths of flex piping attatched to them so you can direct both the cold air and the warm air. Can you position the unit so the warm air can be vented to a basement window, and the cool air to your office?

Option two would be a window air unit in the wall.

Both should be considered temporary. Call a contractor and see if your existing furnace/Ac can handle the addition load, and be incorporated into your new office.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #3

Portable A/C

1. Does the office have a door? Do you keep it open?
2. Is there a door at the top of the stairs? Does it remain open?
3. Are there windows elsewhere in the basement?
4. What area of the country do you live in?

I try to ask before I dispense.
HVAC_Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
Ouch!That'll leave a mark

Lightbulb

Portable A/C

Although I know very little about basements a Mini Split sounds appropriate here. The inside unit is similar to a motel unit and the condenser will be outside. Is there any way to get 2 insulated copper lines to the outside? The lines will req. approx. a 3" hole in the wall or through a window? or up through the floor to the outside in a upstairs closet? You can pump the condensate or run to a sink drain.

Last edited by ridgevilleac; 07-02-2008 at 11:01 PM.
ridgevilleac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #5

Portable A/C

The heat absorbed by the ac is equal to the heat output ( plus heat of mechanical equipment). There is no sense in running a portable without the exhaust .. it will run forever and probably even add some heat to your room. Ductless split is your best option, despite the cost.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
HVAC Sales

Portable A/C

As you have read above you won't cool the room with out exhausting the hot air. Portable air conditioners also remove moisture so now you have a water problem on top of your cooling problem. Find a place to put a 5 foot hose that can also handle your condensation problem. If you can't control your water you will have to look at buying a split system.

Good luck
Silent Bob is offline   Reply With Quote