Portable Ac Compressor Tripping Breaker :( - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2010, 10:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

portable ac compressor tripping breaker :(

I have a Delonghi PAC L90 Pinguino portable AC unit that continually trips the breaker, what happens is the unit starts up, and the way that it is it has a 3-5 minute delay before the condenser fan and compressor turn on. This is when it trips the breaker. I myself figured it was the compressor burnt up, but I ohmed each winding to find that all of them had continuity, and there was no continuity to ground. You can actually hear the compressor going errrrght trying to start, but soon after that, the compressor gets very hot, and trips the circuit breaker. If all windings are good, I suspect a locked up compressor, or a broken connecting rod inside. Though i'm almost sure it has just seized since it had been working fine the week before. I checked the dual capacitor (35microfarads) and it was at 34. Here's where I need help, i've heard you can switch the start and run leads on the compressor and bump it to see if you can get it to spin backwards for a slight second. I was also thinking about putting a hard start kit on it but will it be possible when this unit has a dual capacitor (the fans are connected to it as well) could I just leave that capacitor in the circuit for the fans and undo it to the compressor and install a hard start?
I tend to lean towards the hardstart being my best option, but id like some second opinions, Any suggestions, ideas, or corrections will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement

tamar120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,724

A hard start would just connect to the herm and C terminal of the dual cap, not to the fan terminal. So no problem using one.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #3

i've put a hard start on a drink machine before, but I took the old capacitor out of the circuit but I guess because it was a start capacitor though. Do you think i'm right as far as it being a locked up compressor?
Old 04-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

You would need to remove an old start cap. But the compressor if its an induction start capacitor run. Needs to keep its run cap.

Check amp draw. If its drawing LRA, then its seized.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
tamar120 (04-27-2010)
Old 04-27-2010, 01:34 AM   #5

Before i go out wednesday and put a hard start on it.. im starting to feel more and more like it may be a waste... I was reading an article and it said something about you will hear the compressor try to start (making a buzz like noise) and the thermal limiter will shut it down.. This seems to be my case, but why would it trip the breaker.. Im tending to lean more towards it may be broken mechanically..
Old 04-27-2010, 05:54 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Each time it tries to start. Its over heating the windings. And causing more and more winding insulation damage.

So it probably beginning to short the start winding.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #7

turns out the compressor was shorted to ground, i just wasnt finding a very good spot on the compressor to put the lead so i put it to copper.. not worth fixing but if they want to put in a new compressor i will grab the torches :D
Old 04-29-2010, 05:48 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

When checking a Compressor to ground. It should always be checked to the copper lines.

Advertisement