Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #1

Share |

Popping Vents

This is my first time using the heat in the house I moved into and the vents in the master bedroom "pop". The noise is coming from underneath the floor and I am pretty sure the floor will have to be taken up to resolve the issue. Any ideas on the best way to go about this or advice on my diagnoses of the problem.

For whatever reason, HVAC contractors are unwilling to perform the task which leaves me to complete the job. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Mr. Yango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Popping Vents

Pull the register and see if you can move the duct/pipe.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Mr. Yango (10-10-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
how

Popping Vents

A couple of alternatives.

I assume you are talking about an air pressure change causing the ducting to "pop" under your bedroom floor. It's not a choice for everyone but setting up your heating system with continuous or a 2 speed blower system will often stop the duct "pop" sound.

Sometimes just going from a regular filter to an allergy filter reduces the air pressure enough to make a difference. A temp rise test across the furnace is best established if choosing this route.

Are many of your other outlets dampened down and thereby causing more air pressure into the Master Bedroom outlet?

Are you sure its a heating duct and not a return air vent?
how is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to how For This Useful Post:
Mr. Yango (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #4

Popping Vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by how
A couple of alternatives.

I assume you are talking about an air pressure change causing the ducting to "pop" under your bedroom floor. It's not a choice for everyone but setting up your heating system with continuous or a 2 speed blower system will often stop the duct "pop" sound.

Sometimes just going from a regular filter to an allergy filter reduces the air pressure enough to make a difference. A temp rise test across the furnace is best established if choosing this route.

Are many of your other outlets dampened down and thereby causing more air pressure into the Master Bedroom outlet?

Are you sure its a heating duct and not a return air vent?
It is definitely the heating ducts and it seems to be the temperature change rather than the pressure change. If I installed dampers in the basement to cut off the flow, does that typically work? It is a second floor bedroom so heat is actually not an issue. Thank you for the help!
Mr. Yango is offline   Reply With Quote