DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   Poor diy'er guy! (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/poor-diyer-guy-157148/)

Doc Holliday 09-17-2012 11:19 PM

Poor diy'er guy!
 
Service call today. Home owner attempting some maintenance on his a/c unit to save some money changed the contactor on the condenser, connected the low voltage control wire to a 120 volt line, fried the furnace control board, the transformer and the thermostat.

$600.00 is what he spent for not asking first.

I should've taken a pic of the white condenser wire. It had no insulation on it left, burned right off all the way to the furnace.

Pirulo 09-18-2012 12:29 AM

OMG! Is easy to do mistakes like that with the control board if you are not careful, no doubt. Have you seen lately any other horror diy'er repair or improvement? (like copper gas lines going through air returns, or electric cables going through ductwork)...
Oh, I remember one last month, took apart a furnace, and the filter it had was a 16x20x1 intead of a 16x24x1, so in fact it wasn't filtering anything (because of unobstructed hole in the back of the filter rack). Douh!

hvac dude 09-18-2012 12:35 AM

lol to much .. i was doing a call once and i had noticed the home owner had vented the gas dryer into the vent pipe for the washroom exhaust fan upstream from the fan , needless to say i shut off the gas and disconnected the dryer . too much

Pirulo 09-18-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvac dude (Post 1012126)
lol to much .. i was doing a call once and i had noticed the home owner had vented the gas dryer into the vent pipe for the washroom exhaust fan upstream from the fan , needless to say i shut off the gas and disconnected the dryer . too much

Lol, that's a good one, omg!.
Well, about venting, I was buying a used set of stackable washer/dryer, and the deal was I have to pick it up and disconnected myself. If was installed in the kitchen, do you know what they did, they connected a cheap flexible 4" plastic pipe to the vent used for the hood fan extractor just over the stove and through the cabinet (in fact blocking the exhaust of the kitchen hood) and creating a fire hazard because of the plastic pipe, and if this wasn't enough, they couldn't vent cooking gases out of the house, the entire kitchen, walls, cabinets (and also the washer/dryer) were covered with cooking grease. Disgusting! I was actually easier to just install a proper dryer vent just there.

Doc Holliday 09-18-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday (Post 1012077)
Service call today. Home owner attempting some maintenance on his a/c unit to save some money changed the contactor on the condenser, connected the low voltage control wire to a 120 volt line, fried the furnace control board, the transformer and the thermostat.

$600.00 is what he spent for not asking first.

I should've taken a pic of the white condenser wire. It had no insulation on it left, burned right off all the way to the furnace.

I just can't get over it. It was so funny! He was following me around all over the place trying to explain what he had done to save some face. In the beginning I was annoyed with him all close up on me, acting like my helper he was so close, but towards the end and afterwards I began to really feel bad for the guy. Originally when I got there he told me the fuse was blowing. I looked at his new contactor and both low voltage wires were on the same side. He got that idea from the old one which was an old brown one that both low voltage wires actually do go on the same side. Whoopsie!!


I changed one wire over to the side, plugged in the disconnect and the fan started on the condenser. Fan 120 wire on the incoming side of the contactor. I changed that and then it was all good, pushed the contactor in and the condenser started. Stat still off at this point.

In the attic I replaced the fuse on the board, pushed in the door button and the fuse blew. Great. Removed all control wires from the board, new fuse in and blew it.

Removed all wires to tranny, checked to ground and sure enough continuity to ground on low side. Removed board to check the back just to be certain. It looked good so I just changed the tranny, left the control wires unhooked and blew another fuse.

Phack!

Luckily the boss showed up and he's a mobile parts house, had the exact replacement board in his van. Changed the board and checked, power held, fuse held.

"One small step for man, one giant leap for Doc Holliday!" :thumbup:

Jumped control wires in at furnace and everything worked. Wired it all in, checked the stat and only the fan would come on. Changed stat, turned her on and it was finally all good.

Poor guy, he did not easily have that kind of money to spend.

beenthere 09-18-2012 04:02 PM

Ouch, some expensive savings there.

techpappy 09-18-2012 04:32 PM

Good lesson for everyone..if you don't know then don't attempt it...I was called out late one evening to service an oil burner of about 5 gph..the guy who called me was a domestic OBT and wasn't sure so, he called our number ( major boiler company) I don't remember what the problem was but, I told him he did the right thing. I was in my 20's and he was in his 50's. Fixed in a matter of minutes.. Another time I serviced a 300 HP steam boiler on bunker (heavy) oil on a Monday morning. The plant electrician was convinced it was the 10 HP blower motor..but really didn't have a clue (he had been working on the problem all weekend!!..IT took me 10 mins to fix..re established oil circulation and reset the Hi Temp oil switch.( bunker oil has to be pre heated to 200 F before entering the combustion chamber).we got all their service work after that. I have also seen some horror stories..had a gas tech replace gas valve on a commercial boiler which resulted in severe delayed ignition "incident" which blew the cast iron door off..luckily he only suffererd temporary deafness I investigated and found that although he hadn't followed start up procedures properly the burner manufacturer had not wired it to be fail safe which caused a hair strand of wire to "jump" a switch to the main gas valve keeping it open during pre purge hence, when the ignition pilot lit there WAS a BANG!! I rewiired it properly and notified the company and all authorities. The company claimed it was the only one wired that way. SURE!! BTW it had been wired according to the mfg's wiring diagram!! I have a few more stories but will tell them another time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 PM.