Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #1

Share |

Pointy self tapping screws for ducts?

I'm helping a friend do some ductwork in his basement, but can't find the screws we need. When I redid mine I just used what the builders had used. I was lucky enough I didn't need more. They were pointy and would easily get through the outer duct and pull in the inner crimped duct. I went to Home Depot and couldn't find the same type so I bought self tapping screws, but they take 45 seconds of pushing before they go through the first duct and then just crumple the inner duct. I returned those and bought sheet metal screws, but they also won't get through. I've come to the point where I am going to use one of mine to make the hole, remove it, and then insert the other screw. Please somebody tell me what I'm looking for, it's driving me crazy. They were also great because they fit into my impact driver with no bit. Thanks.

Last edited by mikegp; 06-03-2013 at 06:54 AM.
mikegp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

something like these:

self tapping sheet metal screws

self drilling sheet metal screws

Last edited by jmon; 06-02-2013 at 08:54 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Same aisle as the rest of the screws and nails in Ace Hardware. Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's seem to have the bad habit of placing self tapping sheet metal screws in the duct work aisle, not where you would think that they should be, and that is with the rest of the nails and screws.

I swear that half the time, they change aisles at our local Lowe's and Menard's about every six months, just to screw with people, where stuff is. One trip the product is in the aisle you would expect it to be in, next trip it is in a totally unrelated aisle with no rhyme or reason why they moved the product.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #4

Jmon, first link doesn't work. Second link are the screws I tried and they just crumple the inner pipe. I quickly checked in the duct section and didn't see them. I'll try next time. Wish I could have a link to show them when I go.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
Please somebody tell me what I'm looking for...
self drilling sheet metal screws. #6 x 1/2"
Don't forget to get the mastic to!

LINK to pictures
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Retired Army Veteran

Quote:
Jmon, first link doesn't work. Second link are the screws I tried and they just crumple the inner pipe. I quickly checked in the duct section and didn't see them. I'll try next time. Wish I could have a link to show them when I go.
Fixed first link sorry mike.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #7

Tarheel, those are the ones the crumple the inner pipe. The ones I want look like a regular screw, but they're very pointy and the first two threads are narrow. I still have mastic from my project, but haven't checked if it's still good.

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #8

Thanks, jmon, but still none of those are pointy. The ones that look like a drill bit aren't cutting it and the ones that just say sheet metal aren't pointy enough. I tried both.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

The duct sheet metal is too thin. Just tape the joint with foil tape, then spread the duct mastic over it and be done with it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #10

The pointy screws go in like nothing. I just wish we could find those.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
The pointy screws go in like nothing. I just wish we could find those.
Again, they are in the same aisle in your local Ace Hardware with the rest of the screws. Otherwise you have to hunt for them in your local Lowe's or Home Depot, but they have them also. It also helps to get the drill going at a high enough speed and letting the screw do the work, not by pushing it into the duct.

I have used Self-Taps on thin gauge duct work with no problems. It sometimes help to just use a small high-speed drill bit to drill a pilot hole, then just screw the self-tap in enough to where you can finish hand tightening. It takes practice, but you do it enough, you can get them in with no problem, no matter what the gauge of the sheet metal is.

It comes out usually a end-user issue, not a device issue, why these things never go how you want them. Personally I like using tape over screws on stuff like duct work, then use mastic, because then you have nothing to cause whistling as the air flows through the duct.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
Experienced HVAC Tech

the best brand (IMO) and only brand of the "pointy" kind i use is Malco. you can get them at any HVAC supply house, they all sell Malco. I use the "drill bit" ones for special times when i have to secure to thicker metals.
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HVAC1000 For This Useful Post:
jmon (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #13
HVAC Tech/Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC1000 View Post
the best brand (IMO) and only brand of the "pointy" kind i use is Malco. you can get them at any HVAC supply house, they all sell Malco. I use the "drill bit" ones for special times when i have to secure to thicker metals.

X2

I ran out of self tapping screws on a job and because I was in a hurry I went to lowes and bought a box there....they were junk and did what the OP described.
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC1000 View Post
You, my friend, are awesome!

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=Search+All

All I needed was a name so I could track them down. I'll just order online and pick them up at the store so I won't even have to hunt them down. Assuming they have them since half the time it says they have 40 in stock and when you get there they have zilch. Thanks so much!

Last edited by mikegp; 06-03-2013 at 06:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikegp For This Useful Post:
jmon (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #15
Retired Army Veteran

Glad hvac1000 knew the name. Do you have a local Grainger? They have them as well. In stock.

malco self-piercing sheet metal screws

Last edited by jmon; 06-03-2013 at 07:31 AM.