Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
Mike K

Share |

plenum splitter design & linkage

Iv been brainstorming how to install a easily actuated duct damper to balance, or isolate half of my split level house redirecting all the flow to the other. Branch take offs located close to the plenum take off prevent me from installing a damper in the 8x14 duct. The 8x18 duct on the opposite side of the plenum is adequate size for 1st stage heating airflow. Thermostat wired only to W1.

I think I can build a splitter damper in the top of the plenum. A damper which doesn't have the pivot axle in the middle. But only at the top located at the top of the plenum. This will put allot of stress on the linkage and stops positioning the loose leading edge.

Can I design something that will work if I beef it up to say a 16 gage blade and commercial grade linkage rods which would attach to the loose edge of the damper?

Thanks for your time
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
Mike K

Heres a pic and a drawing to better illustrate.
Attached Thumbnails
plenum splitter design & linkage-furnace-002.jpg   plenum splitter design & linkage-plenum1.jpg  
Old 01-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

I doubt the plenum damper you are considering would last regardless what you do. All the leverage of the air against the damper is going to be hard to overcome even simply so hold it partially closed. Even holding it straight down would be unlikely. That is going to be a large piece of sheet metal and there is a lot of airflow at that point.

so, that leaves you dampers in the main branches.

You say you have a branch take off too close to the plenum to be able to out a damper in the main branch.

move the branch take off.

or, why couldn't you put it in the transition?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Mike K

Thanks.. Yes the leading edge of the blade will be hard to control. I dont want to use a regular damper handle controlling the pivot axle. Instead a rod or two to the leading edge of the blade with this hardware shown in my drawing.
http://www.durodyne.com/xephr/view/L...c=in-24495.pdf
Scroll down to page 6 and its the Splitter Damper Bracket and Ball Joint Damper Casting.

My problem with a damper in the duct or transition is that that side (opposite side in the picture) is over a finished space.

Just had a idea... How about a regular damper in the duct above the finished space with no handle, and then use the splitter damper hardware I gave the link to to control it through a hole in the plenum door??

All I know is that I don't want to do this twice. I just had the coil out this spring and Im hating the idea of pumping it back down blah blah blah.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar View Post

My problem with a damper in the duct or transition is that that side (opposite side in the picture) is over a finished space.
I take it that the side away from the camera is the one you want to restrict then?

Last edited by nap; 01-18-2010 at 10:02 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
Mike K

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I take it that the side away from the camera is the one you want to restrict then?
Yes. The side that is seen is 18x8. Hidden back side is 14x8

Or maybe something more like this. But the rod might not open the damper all the way with this design.
Attached Thumbnails
plenum splitter design & linkage-plenum2.jpg  
Old 01-18-2010, 11:50 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Hope you don't have the water turned on to that humidifier if you close the air off to one of those ducts.

What BTU is the furnace?
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #8
Mike K

75K. 2 stage
Old 01-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #9

Does that duct dead end like that or does it continue on. If it dead ends it is a poor design and it would probably be better to replace it with a transition that will be better suited for dampers. If those are the only two takeoffs and you are not using a splitter damper you will need a bypass damper and duct or prevent both dampers from closing enough to prevent minimum air from passing through the coils.
H. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote