Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #1

Share |

Pleated Filter in Honeywell F50F?

Hello. I have a Honeywell F50F electronic air cleaner on my HVAC system. It came in a house I purchased. I am not overwhelmed with how well it works and it is something of a pain to wash it - it entails 2 trips into the crawl space (once to remove and again to replace after washing).

So I am wondering if I can, after turning off the power to the unit, replace the electronic elements with a pleated filter? My measurements of the two electronic elements (end to end as they sit in the housing) is 4-3/8 x 19-7/8 x 19-1/2 inches.

I have been looking online trying to find an exact fit. I have found only this http://www.furnacefilterwarehouse.co...Show=TechSpecs
which says the actual size is 19 7/8" X 19 7/8" X 4 3/8" and this http://www.furnacefilterwarehouse.co...Show=TechSpecs
which says the actual size is 20"x19 7/8"x4 3/8".

There seems to be a generic filter size called a 20x20x4 but often has an actual size of 19.5 x 19.5 x 3.75 (seen at Amazon and elsewhere).

If I can do the swap of electronic for pleated filters, I am not sure which of the above is the best choice. How much does it matter that the fit is "exact"?

Thanks in advance for your help.

whitedavidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #2

In the crawl?
Sometimes you have to wonder what these builder were thinking.

OK, diphtheria filter as long as the dimension are right.

But make sure you remove the two plastic sliders on the bottom of the housing (one close to front, the other at the rear). Takes a phillips to remove them.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #3

By the way, is it possible (or preferable) to use multiple 20x20x1 inch filters stacked up instead of the single wider filter? Or would this likely reduce airflow too much? Thanks.
whitedavidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

It will reduce the airflow too much. Will trap dirt between them. The 4" has more surface area and plugs up evenly rather than the first come first served stacking idea. It needs to fit as close to exact as possible or dirt will bypass it and then you will have a nightmare trying to clean the coil later. I have tried to measure those filters for customers and it is pretty hard to measure within a 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I would order the 2 nd one and see if it fits. A Merv 13 is a pretty tight filter/restrictive and may cause you freezeup problems.

Last edited by yuri; 09-05-2009 at 11:23 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

The pleats of a 4 " media filter. Give it a very large surface area. Far more then just 400 sq in.

A 20 x 20 regular filter, will only have 400 sq in.

So it can clogg much faster, and harm your A/C and or heating equipment.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
Go Green

re:I am not sure which of the above is the best choice. How much does it matter that the fit is "exact"?

David I was thrown off too. I ordered from http://www.filters-now.com I called in just so I got the right one shipped to me.

All filters have a nominal size
(14x20) and actual size (13.5x19.5). That's why when ordering a filter you should always match up your needed size with the actual size of the filter.

The nominal filter size is the approximate size up of the filter rounded up to the nearest "whole" inch. This makes the filter easier to identify for the consumer and allows for filters to comfortably fit into specified space in a residential furnace without air by-pass. The tolerances allowed for with this nominal size are +/- 1/8" for both the width and length. The actual size is just as it sounds; it is literally the exact dimensions of the filter. For example, the nominal size of a Dust Shield filter could be 20x20x1 however its actual size is 19 5/8"x19 5/8"x13/16". This may not be true for all manufacturers. Be sure to note the actual size required for you unit before purchasing and changing your filter.

Thanks,
Allen

Allen797 is offline   Reply With Quote