Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #1

Share |

Please help: Relocating a thermostat

I've never done this before, so I'm trying to avoid a stupid mistake. The thermostat is in a rental, and I need to be careful. The thermostat is a Carrier Class 2 LR1620 30V.

It's the older type with the mercury switch.

The photo above is with the first plate taken off. There's another plate that fastens to what looks like a wall mount (you can see there's a gap between them in the top photo). Do I remove the screws you see above to get the middle plate off the mounting plate?

Here's a shot of the furnace:

There's two thin wires on either side of the furnace, but the brown wire coming from the left side is going into the wall where the thermostat is located. I have no clue what the other wire is for on the right side. This thermostat is used for both a furnace and an air conditioning unit, so I do not know if the wires for each are coming from the same directions. I want to relocate the thermostat on the outside of the wall of the utility closet by simply cutting the wire at the furnace and reconnecting.

Can somebody help walk me through this?

Thanks.

peterk312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

Turn off power at the furnace before you cut or undo the wires. Other than that should be just run the new tstat wire. and reconnect to the furnace and tstat. take pic of wiring on both sides use same colors. Make sure use use 18 gauge tstat wire. Will need new wire to have 5 conductors.

turnermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #3

5 wires? Most of the ones I run across have 4 (R, W, Y and G).
scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmcd9999 View Post
5 wires? Most of the ones I run across have 4 (R, W, Y and G).
I have never seen 18-4 for sale. It only comes 18-2,18-3,18-5, 18-8 and 18-10 around here. If you only need 4 don't use the 5th.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #5

My point is: What's the need to have have 5 leads? Maybe I misread ...

Wait - I did not read fully. The OP is wanting to relocate ... sorry, my bad.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk312 View Post
I've never done this before, so I'm trying to avoid a stupid mistake. The thermostat is in a rental, and I need to be careful. The thermostat is a Carrier Class 2 LR1620 30V.

It's the older type with the mercury switch.

The photo above is with the first plate taken off. There's another plate that fastens to what looks like a wall mount (you can see there's a gap between them in the top photo). Do I remove the screws you see above to get the middle plate off the mounting plate?

Here's a shot of the furnace:

There's two thin wires on either side of the furnace, but the brown wire coming from the left side is going into the wall where the thermostat is located. I have no clue what the other wire is for on the right side. This thermostat is used for both a furnace and an air conditioning unit, so I do not know if the wires for each are coming from the same directions. I want to relocate the thermostat on the outside of the wall of the utility closet by simply cutting the wire at the furnace and reconnecting.

Can somebody help walk me through this?

Thanks.
that is the control wire for the condenser from the stat and control board... that turns on the condenser
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
AKA HVACTECHFW

Quote:
I want to relocate the thermostat on the outside of the wall of the utility closet by simply cutting the wire at the furnace and reconnecting.
Are you sure that is a good location to relocate it to?
Technow (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #8

the stat has to be somewhere within the return to the unit that is what it cycles on not room temp..please as told shut the furnace service switch OFF killing th TR within so your working dead...we don't care if you kill yourself we just don't want you to cook the secondary side... are you up grading or just moving...that stat if it was any more LOW END generic would be a toggle switch

Last edited by biggles; 08-04-2012 at 12:08 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #9

Thank you for the replies.

I can only relocate the thermostat to a piece of the wall that is the utility closet, but it's in the path of the return air duct, which is at the bottom of the closet. The way the thermostat operates now the bedroom gets cooler than the living room. I can work around the thermostat not placed in an optimal location. I cannot work around where the thing is currently located in the middle of a living room wall. I have a large painting that needs to go there.

3 Questions:

1. Anyone know if I need to remove the two screws you see in the middle photo above in order to remove this plate with the mercury switch that you can see from the wall mount?

2. Do these types of thermostats typically have an electrical outlet box behind them mounted to a stud?

3. Does it look like the brown wire on the left of the furnace is for the thermostat? Again, this brown wire goes into the wall where the thermostat is located, and it looks like the type of cable that has 4 or 5 wires in it. The other wire on the right is a bit thinner and is going into the wall that has the circuit breaker box.

4. I need to cut the power to both the furnace and the condenser unit when changing the wiring, yes? I assume I can cut the power to the furnace as well as the condenser unit at the circuit breaker box (both are labeled).

Last edited by peterk312; 08-05-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #10

just shut the funace service switch off that is where the transformer is...condenser can be lefy alone...nothinh will happen till you repower the furnace TR.yes the (2) screws hold the stat onto the subbase... remobve it to exspose the terminals and stat wiress yes that BROWN BELL wire is the stat drop into it there.the subbase terminals lettering/color should match the control board with in the furnace if you have a board...there are standard colors used R/RED/HOT...G/GREEN/FAN...Y/YELLOW/COOL....W/WHITE/HEAT... note on the mounting 99% of residential stats just go onto a wall where the BROWB ?BELL comes out with plastic anchors....anything with a mercury bulb has to be level on the wall when installed...digiatal can be mounter side ways upside down on the ceilings....OK
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #11

There's this piece that is holding the circuit breakers for the condenser unit. Is this a lock of some kind or is it simply to throw the two breakers at the same time?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #12

Those are quad doublepole breakers, which are normally used when a box is full of breakers, but you need to add additional breakers. The two outer breakers are twinned, and the two inner breakers are twinned.

You need to turn the power off AT THE FURNACE, not the air conditioner. Your furnace would be served by a 110v breaker - that is, a single handle, not a double handle. There may be a power switch mounted near the furnace - it's just a light switch that is connected to the power lead for the furnace, and you can turn the power off there, if you can find it.

Last edited by scottmcd9999; 08-06-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: wrong term used
Old 08-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
HVAC Tech/Owner

Just go wireless..... Put the stat in anywhere you want...not just on that wall.....Carry the stat wherever you are....
Technow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #14

turn on the A/C start turning off single handle breakers unit the furnce turns off. then do what you want with the tstat. if you don't see a switch at the furnace. you can also remove the doors of the furnace and that will kill the low voltage wiring by the door safety switch, but it would have power up to door switch. You would be best served by the breaker or furnace switch mounted on the furnace or in the furnace room

Last edited by turnermech; 08-06-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #15

Guys, are you sure the screws you see in this photo are supposed to come out to remove the control from the wall mount plate?

The screws don't want to move. They also seem to be in a real awkward position. Did they make this with a snap-on plate? I'm afraid to apply too much pressure to the thing because of the mercury switch.