Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #1

Share |

Pipes embedded in concrete floor

The pipes that run from my outdoor compressor to the AC/Furnace inside my house are embedded in the concrete floor. The pipe that runs from the outside compressor into the concrete floor just lies on the ground and a leak in that pipe was easily repaired.
I have been told that if there is an additional leak within the pipe which is embedded in the concrete floor, the leaking freon is so corrosive that it will turn the concrete into sand, which may clog the pipe and even clog the coils in the compressor, which would ruin the new compressor that I just had installed.
Is this possible? If it is possible, on a scale of 1-10, is it likely to happen, or just a remote possibility?
I know that if there is a leak within those pipes it should be repaired by running new pipes, but what I want to know is: Can it destroy the compressor (which is brand new) as well--or would it simply leak freon, which would eventually run out?
Thanks.

dmorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #2

Unless they were not inspected copper lines (all types water,gas,ac) are required to be protected as they pass though concrete. I would be most worried about the concrete eating the copper and letting your gas leak. Most the time they sleeve copper line what looks like thick plastic wrap tubes.

One of the nice things about freon is it does not react with much. Before they outlawed it freon was used to clean circuit boards and other electronics.

Running the compressor low on freon will cause damage to the compressor itself. First you have more wear because you are running more hours to get the same cooling. The compressor is also dependent on freon to cool the internal parts so you don't want to run with a very low charge.

bill01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #3

don't know about sand and the freon magic,but nothing but air can't go into the pipes untill they are atmospheric(no freon within) but plan on more leaks especially the suction/insulated one with it going ice cold to room temp during a cycle.then with the thin copper line Liquid Line going 80F-90F on a hot day...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Freon, is not corrosive.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak compressor damage