Pilot Won't Light - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pilot Won't Light

I have an older Carrier furnace that seems to have trouble lighting the pilot. It was a little cold this morning, and I noticed the furnace wasn't running. When I checked it, the starter was sparking, but the pilot wouldn't light. I waited 5 minutes, and it sparked the entire time without ignition. I used a BBQ lighter and the pilot lit immediately, so the gas seems to be okay. Everything else worked fine once the pilot was lit.

The pilot may have ignited at some point, but surely this can't be normal operation, can it? BTW, the pilot is actually a new 3-wire unit that I installed a couple weeks ago because the bi-metal sensor wasn't allowing the main burner to ignite.

Thanks,
Dave

Advertisement

dave54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Pilot Won't Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
I have an older Carrier furnace that seems to have trouble lighting the pilot. It was a little cold this morning, and I noticed the furnace wasn't running. When I checked it, the starter was sparking, but the pilot wouldn't light. I waited 5 minutes, and it sparked the entire time without ignition. I used a BBQ lighter and the pilot lit immediately, so the gas seems to be okay. Everything else worked fine once the pilot was lit.

The pilot may have ignited at some point, but surely this can't be normal operation, can it? BTW, the pilot is actually a new 3-wire unit that I installed a couple weeks ago because the bi-metal sensor wasn't allowing the main burner to ignite.

Thanks,
Dave
The pilot need to be taken apart and cleaned, the orfice is most likely dirty

Advertisement

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #3

Pilot Won't Light

But it's a brand new pilot with a nice blue flame when lit . . .
Old 12-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Pilot Won't Light

Quote:

Thanks,
Dave
If it light by grill spark and not it own. You may have the spark rod little off it mark or you may have a weak spark box. If you dont have good enough ground too. It may not lit anyways. The 3 wire pilot need 100% ground for it to work.
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #5

Pilot Won't Light

Is there some way to test the spark box, like a minimum distance the spark should jump? The spark at the pilot is a nice little blue arc. Another piece of information is that it seems the problem is a bit intermittent, and possibly worst when first lighting after being off overnight when the stat is turned down. I just did an override on the stat and turned it up 1 degree to get the furnace to fire up again, and before I could walk to the garage, the pilot had already lit.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #6

Pilot Won't Light

Quote:
But it's a brand new pilot with a nice blue flame when lit . . .
i advise that you not mess with that spark box to much, or you may find out what it feels like to be tased.......you did not mention in the original post that it was a brand new pilot.....clean the spark rod and try moving it ever so slightly.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #7

Pilot Won't Light

Thanks Harley, I'll try just moving the rod. BTW, I did mention the new pilot in the original post . . .

Cheers!

Advertisement