Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #1

Share |

Pilot light -trane xe78

2 weeks ago my pilot light on my trane xe78 went out but continued to blow air out of the duct. I took off the top and bottom covers to visually check for problems. When I put the covers back on the pilot light came on and ran without interruption for 2 weeks. The last 3 days it has been going out once or twice a day. When I take covers off and put them back on it runs fine for the next 6 to 24 hours then goes out. Any ideas on how to fix this?

skippy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #2

Pilot light -trane xe78

you have a loose connection or ground wire to the controller bouncing..if the cycle was bad you would get nothing....hit everything within the control cabinet with a screwdriver.make sure the actual pilot assembly is tight on the mounting point where it lights.the reason the fan blows cold without the burner running is the fan cycle is a timed ON run not heat dependent as the old style furnaces.if it runs without the control panel on leave it off as long as the fan cover is intact there

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #3

Pilot light -trane xe78

I suggest you call a professional technican are you could have happen to you that happen to one of my customers a few years ago. The pilot gas can build up in the heat exchanger, you get the pilot to light with all that gas build up and you get one heck of a bang. A gas furnace is no place for OJT. My customer spent 2 weeks in the burn unit at a local hospital.
ameriservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #4

Pilot light -trane xe78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameriservices View Post
I suggest you call a professional technican are you could have happen to you that happen to one of my customers a few years ago. The pilot gas can build up in the heat exchanger, you get the pilot to light with all that gas build up and you get one heck of a bang. A gas furnace is no place for OJT. My customer spent 2 weeks in the burn unit at a local hospital.
That model of Trane use a White Rodgers mercury sensor. Either the sensor or the valve is bad. Have to know how to trouble shoot the system to be sure which one is bad. Mostly the sensor will go bad but symptoms are are so similar it's difficult to tell the diff sensor and valve.

FYI, ameriservices, the design of that and other furnaces of the same vintage disallow pilot gas build up due to the natural draft of room air escaping thru the ht ex and out the flue.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #5

Pilot light -trane xe78

You are only partly corrctly, up to you to find out which part your wrong about. Hopefully it not the gas build up
ameriservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #6

Pilot light -trane xe78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameriservices View Post
You are only partly corrctly, up to you to find out which part your wrong about. Hopefully it not the gas build up
I know I am right because it was a code requirement back in the day and an ANSI standard and an AGA design certification furnaces had to have to pass AGA approval.