Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #1

Share |

Is a pilot light supose to stay on?

Hello all,

Im working on my furnace, changing the igniter module and pilot light assembly. Problem is my old pilot igniter/sensor unit is old and cant be replaced, there is a upgrade kit for it (Honeywell S8610U) which is made to replace many old furnace ignition modules.

What i had before is a intermitent pilot light. When the furnace would kick on, i would hear/see the spark, then see the pilot flame, then the furnace would light. Problem is I never noticed if the pilot light stayed on or off during the heating. Is it SUPOSED to stay on. Is it normal operation for the pilot to stay on while the furnace is working?

simonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #2

My guess is that the pilot on the gas valve is sticking open and will not close after the call for heat ends. Probaly need a new gas valve, pilot should only be lit on call for heat.

HvacWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #3

Yes thats correct. I dont think i explained myself properly.

When the furnace isnt running, the pilot light is off. No problem there. When the furnace kicks on, the pilot light is lit with the spark, then the pilot light lights the furnace. There is not problem at all with the way it runs.

My problem is that my pilot light hood is all rusted and coroated, i sanded it as good as i could back to bare metal, but i know its days are numbered cause its was having a hard time lighting before i cleaned it. Im just wondering if when the furnace kicks on, does the pilot light stay lit during the time the main burners are lit? or is does the pilot light go out once the main burners are lit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HvacWiz View Post
My guess is that the pilot on the gas valve is sticking open and will not close after the call for heat ends. Probaly need a new gas valve, pilot should only be lit on call for heat.
simonb is offline   Reply With Quote