Pilot Light Flame Won't Reach Thermocouple - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pilot light flame won't reach thermocouple

My heatilator fireplace pilot light will ignite while I hold in the switch, but the flame will not extend far enough to heat and activate the thermocouple. I lit the pilot and used a butane lighter to heat the thermocouple at the same time and it worked when I released the switch so the thermocouple is working. However, when I take away the lighter it cools quickly and shuts off the gas supply. I suspect spider webs in the gas supply tube that reduce the gas pressure as the flame has a lot of yellow in it. There is a tri-cornered cap on top of the gas supply tube that directs the flame to the thermocouple and the main flame. How do I safely remove the cap to clean the tube as it has a sleeve that seems to go to the bottom where the tube comes into the firebox and it will not slide off with a moderate tug?

Advertisement

Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geranium View Post
My heatilator fireplace pilot light will ignite while I hold in the switch, but the flame will not extend far enough to heat and activate the thermocouple. I lit the pilot and used a butane lighter to heat the thermocouple at the same time and it worked when I released the switch so the thermocouple is working. However, when I take away the lighter it cools quickly and shuts off the gas supply. I suspect spider webs in the gas supply tube that reduce the gas pressure as the flame has a lot of yellow in it. There is a tri-cornered cap on top of the gas supply tube that directs the flame to the thermocouple and the main flame. How do I safely remove the cap to clean the tube as it has a sleeve that seems to go to the bottom where the tube comes into the firebox and it will not slide off with a moderate tug?
well we would need a picture ....but you have to clean pilot tube and orifice to improve pilot.....

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
how

Rewards Points: 606

Usually you need to remove the whole pilot assy to take apart and access the pilot orifice.
It doesn't help with spider webs but often rapping the metal base of the pilot assy with a screwdriver while the pilot gas is flowing will dislodge pilot orifice debris. (Don't hit the igniter porcelin or your repair job will suddenly become more complex)
how is offline   Reply With Quote